Ceres is a not-for-profit organization that partners with institutional investors, large companies, environmental organizations and other public interest groups, with the goal of mobilizing investor and business leadership to build a thriving, sustainable global economy.
Ceres plays a unique role in the sustainability movement by bringing the perspective and power of investors to environmental and social issues, and specifically to the performance, practices and policies of corporations. Through its Investor Network on Climate Risk, Ceres has been able to mobilize over 115 institutional investors representing more than $14 trillion in assets to better understand and properly value climate and water-related risks and opportunities. Ceres works to foster corporate leadership on sustainability issues and mobilize private sector actors in support of public policies for long-term sustainability. Ceres works with over 65 major companies to integrate environmental and social issues into core business practices. Additionally, Ceres mobilizes a powerful network of leading companies (Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy) to advocate for national and state climate, energy and water policies.
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Sustainable Agriculture is a full-time position, reporting to the Director, Food & Capital Markets. The Food and Capital Markets Initiative is a new multi-organization collaboration working to enhance the sustainability of key food supply chains. Ceres responsibilities as part of this program involve working with Ceres’ Investor, Corporate, NGO, and Policy partners. This role will be based in Boston, MA.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support the development and execution of programmatic strategy and goals for advancing the sustainability of food supply chains, with a particular focus on commodities associated with deforestation, including beef, palm oil, soy, seafood, as well as illegal fishing.
- Manage production, release and distribution of new research and articles that advance strategic objectives.
- Develop media messaging and communications materials, including op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Partner with other Ceres’ staff on integrated program initiatives and events.
- Represent Ceres work to companies and investors involved in key agricultural and seafood supply chains.
- Sits on Ceres’ internal cross-program sustainable agriculture working group.
- Conduct annual evaluation of programmatic work and support production of progress reports.
- Partner with the Director in production of funding proposals to sustain and grow sustainable agriculture work with the Ceres Development team.
- Partner with the Director in funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders, with the Ceres Development Team.
- Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference and program events, to further sustainable agriculture programmatic work.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work.
- Travel as necessary.
- Graduate degree in finance, business, environment, law or public policy or related field required.
- Bachelor degree, required.
- 7 years of work experience.
- 5 years or more of direct experience working on sustainable agriculture issues in the corporate, investor, government and/or non-profit sectors, preferred.
- Substantial expertise on environmental sustainability issues related to sustainable agriculture
- Familiarity with supply chain dynamics, corporate and industry sustainable sourcing best practices
- An understanding of how to engage businesses and investors on the need for responsible sourcing
- Demonstrated experience in relationship management, particularly engaging leaders in the corporate or investor community.
- Ability to make strong connections between sustainable agriculture issues and articulate the impacts and implications for corporate actions.
- Demonstrated strong project management, business planning skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with communications and fundraising preferred.
- Team player that likes working in a collaborative and fast paced environment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail software.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, to [email protected]. Please use the words “Senior Manager, Sustainable Agriculture” in the subject line of your e-mail message.