Philippines nationals: Local Consultant (Technical Support for the Joint WASH and Nutrition and Integrated Nutrition)
UNICEF has been an active partner of the Government of the Philippines and civil society in realizing the rights of every Filipino child, in line with priorities to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. UNICEF efforts have been focused on the most vulnerable regions identified by the Government of the Philippines Development Plan, particularly in the regions of Visayas and Mindanao. To ensure that interventions are sustainable and scaled up, UNICEF will support primarily local government units (LGUs) as the main instruments of delivering services and building systems. The level of engagement with government institutions will take into account capacities, economies of scale and sector issues.
It has a field office in Cotabato City, the second largest city in Mindanao, southern Philippines, with some 300,000 population. The city is the regional administrative centre of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao and over 80 percent of the population is Muslim. Mindanao is both conflict-affected and prone to frequent earthquakes and typhoon storms.
Visit this link for more information on Philippine Country Office: https://www.unicef.org/philippines/
How can you make a difference?
The consultant has a direct link to the Provincial Project Coordinator of Northern Samar. The consultant is expected to support the following activities:
- Establishment, management and maintenance of coordination and collaboration mechanisms ofÂ Bobon and Mapanas with the WASH Coordinator and Â Provincial Liason of Northern Samar under the KOICA project.
- Ensure implementation of nutrition activities with WASH Coordinator identified under KOICA funding and continue implementation of JWNP activities as identified in the developed work plan.
- Continue coordination and advocacy with Local Chief Executives, Municipal Health Officers and Barangays Councils to facilitate and generate buy-in of decision makers and program implementers of JWNP and other nutrition programs.
- Coordinate regularly with UNICEF implementing partners such as World Vision Inc., Zuellig Family Foundation and the SBCC partner.
- Conduct field monitoring and provide monthly report to supervisor.
- Collection and generation of Human-Interest Stories, documentation of best practices and lessons learned.
- Facilitate the conduct of capacity building in coordination with WASH coordinator based from identified need of the LGUs.
- Development of framework to model the JWNP in other KOICA LGUs.
- Coordinate with UNICEF LGU partnership manager (SP Section).
- Establishment, management and maintenance of coordination and collaboration mechanisms with the Provincial Liason Officer of Northern Samar under the KOICA project and SP Coordinator.
- Ensure implementation of nutrition activities identified under KOICA funding and continue implementation of JWNP activities.
- Coordinate and advocate with LCEs, Municipal Health Officers and Barangay Councils to facilitate and generate buy-in of JWNP and nutrition programs among decision makers and program implementers.
- Coordinate field monitoring and provision of regular report to supervisor.
- Facilitate the conduct of capacity building activities based from identified needs of both LGUs
- Coordination of activities with UNICEF implementing partners such as World Vision Inc., Zuellig Family Foundation, SBCC partner, KOICA Liason officer and UNICEF LGU Partnership Manager.
- Development of framework to model the integration for adoption by other KOICA LGUs.
- Implementation plan with timeline
- Inception report
- Documentation report
- Progress report with high resolution photos
- Documentation report
- Barangay resolutions/ordinance
- Monthly Joint meeting, planning and feedback reports
- Collection of Human-Interest Stories with High Resolution Photos.
- Documentation of Best Practices and lessons learned.
- Training needs assessment report
- Pre and post evaluation report
- Training design; concept note and agenda
- Training materials
- Documentation report with high resolution photos identifying issues and concerns and recommended actions.
- Modelling framework to model integration in other KOICA LGUs
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Consultant
- Master's degree in any of the following areas: nutrition, public health, economics, business development, development planning, public policy or health policy, development studies, or other development-related field.
- At least three-five years technical experience on nutrition. Experience working on Maternal, Infant, and Young Child Nutrition an advantage. WASH and field experience working with LGUs preferred. Strong analytical and presentation (oral and written) skills including use of essential computer software packages. Ability to meet deadlines and work with minimal day to day supervision. Excellent skills and experience in designing/reviewing plans.
- Fluency in English and local language is desirable.
- Familiarity to health and nutrition programming both national and local.
- High coordination and communication skills.
- Experienced working with local government units, in particularly working on health and nutrition programs.
- Experienced working with national government agencies: DOH, NNC and other NGOs
- Working with UN agencies and other development partners an advantage
- Good communication skills both English and local dialect. Excellent writing and analytical skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/ by 22 January 2020. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal under Job Number: 528991 will be considered.
All candidates are requested to submit a COVER LETTER, and the duly filled P 11 form which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc indicating three (3) previous supervisors. Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
Only shortlisted consultants will be contacted.
By applying through our Talent Management System (TMS) you agree to our privacy statement which is in line with the Philippines Data Privacy Act. You are strongly advised to read carefully through the privacy statement before submitting your application.