Associate Project Officer
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Within the framework of the Eighth phase (2014-2021) of the International Hydrological Program (IHP), the incumbent shall work within the Division of the Water Sciences, under the overall authority of the Director of the Division, in close consultation and coordination with the Chief of Section for Groundwater Systems and human Settlements (GSS) and the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist in charge of Theme 4 "Water and Human Settlements of the Future".
- The incumbent shall support Themes 2 on Groundwater Systems and 4 one Water for Human Settlements of the Future responsible officers in the development, implementation, and administration, activities and projects, in accordance with UNESCO programmes.
II. Theme 2 related tasks:
In order to ensure the timely and successful implementation of various activities an projects of Theme 2, project documents have to be developed, meetings of experts and stakeholders have to be organized and communication related activities shall be designed and produced, and regular information shall be issued at internal and international level.
Tasks will include but will not be limited to:
Under focal Area 2.5 'Promoting Management of Transboundary Aquifers',
- the incumbent shall participate in the coordination and implementation of the project entitled “Enabling implementation of the Regional Strategic Action Programme (SAP) for the rational and equitable management of the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer System (NSAS)’’ (hereafter called NSAS) executed by UNESCO (having received the Delegation of Authority from GEF/UNDP). UNESCO will implement the project, financed by UNDP/GEF, for the benefit of the following countries: Egypt, Libya, Sudan and Chad. In particular, the incumbent will: Contribute to the preparation and implementation of the project and its activities including assisting the Responsible Officers with the drafting of working material for technical/political meetings, workshops, sessions, or capacity building events; Facilitate the coordination of the project and its activities, according to work plan and budget; Contribute to the design of communication material (outreach, dissemination, website) in close consultation Communication Officer within the Division of Water Sciences; Mobilize and engage the UNESCO Water Family and Field/ Antenna offices to the extent necessary for the preparation of the abovementioned activities.
Under the implementation of the DRIN pilot project under the project entitled ‘’Enabling transboundary cooperation and integrated water resources management in the White Drin and the extended Drin Basin’’, for the benefit of two countries Albania and Montenegro.
- The incumbent will: Facilitate the work for the implementation and conclusion of the pilot project activities, according to agreed timeline and budget; Facilitate the exchange of data and information between national experts and Ministry focal points with the international experts hired within the framework of the project; Contribute to the preparation and implementation of the project and its activities including assisting the Responsible Officers with the drafting of working material for technical/political meetings, workshops, sessions, or capacity-building events Work cooperatively with all relevant institutions and experts from the two project countries for the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the activities ; Contribute to the preparation and implementation of the project and its activities including assisting the Responsible Officers with the drafting of working material for technical/political meetings, workshops, sessions, or capacity building events.
III. Theme 4 related tasks:
Tasks will include but will not be limited to
- Nairobi matrix implementation
Following a May 2018 meeting with all Theme 4 related Chairs and Category 2 Centers, a timetable of deliverables and people responsible was conceived for the implementation of the Nairobi Matrix. The expert shall support the coordination among the Chairs and Centres, monitor the deliverables and their timing receipt.
- Circular economy
The incumbent shall support the Programme Specialist with the development of a concept related to the evaluation of water and water related products within a circular economy framework.
Any other task as request by the Responsible Officer
During the assignment period, the Associate Project officer shall work full-time at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the relevant fields.
- At least two years of experience at international level;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work as part of an international team in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Discretion, tact, and diplomacy in dealing with various international and country organizations as well as the general public;
- Solid computer and other IT skills.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office and GIS based software such as QGIS (Geographic Information System)
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Master’s in Civil, Environmental, Chemical or Urban Engineering or in a similar thematic area.
- Previous experience in the UN system is desirable.
- Knowledge of Arabic an advantage.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
 1 The remuneration paid to the service contract (SC) holder is not exempt from any income taxes which may be levied by the French tax authorities. The SC Holder is affiliated to the French social security scheme (Régime général de la sécurité sociale et des prestations familiales). Consequently, the employees’ social contributions to this scheme will be deducted from the gross remuneration paid by the Organization. UNESCO is not subject to the French unemployment scheme (UNEDIC – Pôle Emploi) and complementary retirement schemes (Retraite complémentaire Agirc/Arrco).
2 Gross amount
The duration of the post shall be for an initial period of one year.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
Please note that only pre-selected candidates will be contacted.