- Position Description
Are you interested in a career that protects and enhances public health and safety? If so, Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is seeking for experienced and enthusiastic hands-on Journey Level Water Pipe Workers to join our Water Transmission and Distribution Division. We are recruiting for multiple positions, so bring your talent to SPU! This position performs the construction, maintenance and operation of the water transmission and distribution systems and will report to a Water Pipe Crew Chief. Our safe, organized, family-friendly and multi-cultural work environment provides our employees with the support they need to thrive and excel in a rewarding career. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented dynamic team!
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility working to make Seattle the best place to live for everyone. We deliver vital services across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high-quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services, and to achieve the greatest benefits possible for every investment we make.
Racial Equity: SPU commits to Our City Values, Workplace Expectations, and Racial Equity and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We support and hold ourselves accountable by eliminating barriers to access and providing employees with equitable opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
Enjoy the following benefits (and more):
- Obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (approximate value of $7000)
- Competitive health care plans
- Overtime available
- All tools provided
- Safety Training paid by SPU
- Opportunities for career advancement
- Family- friendly multi-cultural work environment
- Free public transportation options
- 10 paid holidays and two (2) additional personal holidays
- 12 paid days of vacation per year
- 12 paid days of sick leave per year
- Deferred compensation plan
- Employer/employee contributions to City pension plan
- Job Responsibilities
- Plans and initiates the renewal and installation of industrial and domestic water services including water mains, fire protection services and large meters for customers ensuring federal safe water guidelines are followed.
- Performs service turn on and shut offs; detects, locates and repairs leaks and breaks in pipelines and water mains; and maintains fire systems and hydrants.
- Excavates and backfills streets and sidewalks at the installation site using jackhammers, clay guns, backhoes, and other tools.
- Establishes traffic control at work sites in compliance with IAW Municipal Uniform Traffic Control Manual and Washington State DOT guidelines for protection of crews and pedestrians and cleans up job site.
- Maintains inventory of tools, equipment, and supplies on trucks; inventories, requisitions, and assembles proper materials for specific jobs; keeps track of tools/items needed for each job; and inspects all tools for proper operation.
- Operates a variety of equipment including service trucks, dump trucks, hydro-lifts with trailers, truck mounted cranes, backhoes, dozers, graders and tractor mowers, water tapping machines, pipe cutters, valve machine, welding devices and hand tools. Inspects service trucks for proper operation and needed maintenance.
- Perform demanding and physically challenging work, including lifting more than 50 pounds up to waist level.
- Bend, stoop and dig for extended periods of time.
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, heavy traffic; entering confined spaces (such as maintenance chambers, holes and excavations).
- Work any shift or schedule, including nights, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Respond to emergency conditions resulting in overtime with little or no notice.
- Meet the conditions set forth in SPU Workplace Expectations and Safety policies.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and heavy traffic, around high voltage power lines, heavy equipment, and high-pressure tools and in confined spaces (maintenance chambers, tunnels, utilidors, holes and excavations).
- Employees are exposed to City traffic, chemical fumes, contaminated soil, and loud noise from equipment, trucks, and turbines.
- Willingness to participate in voluntary weekly standby rotation to ensure adequate staff coverage to handle emergency events involving the distribution water system during off-hours.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Two (2) years of experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains, water distribution and/or transmission systems and their related facilities OR two years of pipefitting, plumbing, boiler making experience OR
- Completion of the Seattle Public Utilities’ two-year Water Pipe Worker Apprenticeship program, or a closely related apprenticeship program will be evaluated as equivalent to the minimum experience requirement.
- Current valid driver’s license from any state at time of application
- Candidates must obtain a Washington State driver’s license on or before the date of hire
- Candidates must provide proof of driving record by submitting their “FULL Abstract Driving Record” as part of the application material. DO NOT submit the Employment Driver Abstract.
“Full Abstract of Driving Record” must not be older than 30 days from the date of application submission.
How to obtain your “Full Abstract of Driving Record”: (Online or In-person)
- Online: Visit https://secure.dol.wa.gov/home/ to create an account to request your Full Abstract of Driving Record.
- In-person: Visit https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/500009.pdf (Download PDF reader), and complete the appropriate form. Bring a printed copy of the completed form with you to a Department of Licensing Office.
- Scan and attach your “Full Abstract of Driving Record“ to your application
Seattle Public UtilitiesAttention: Human Resources700 – 5th AveP.O Box 34018Seattle, WA 98124-4018OR
- Mail “Full Abstract of Driving Record” to the following address:
Seattle Municipal Tower
- Hand deliver “Full Abstract of Driving Record” to the following address:
700 Fifth Avenue, Suite 4900
Human ResourcesSeattle, WA 98104
Journey Level Water Pipe Worker
Seattle Public Utilities
Seattle, WA, United States 🇺🇸