national governments, the private sector, health agencies, communities and local stakeholders to improve health and save lives in the following areas: malaria control; maternal, neonatal and child health; water, sanitation, and hygiene; tuberculosis; HIV/AIDS; Zika; and other communicable diseases.
MCDI is currently seeking candidates to serve as the WASH Senior Technical Advisor for the anticipated, five-year USAID Liberia Community Health Activity. The Project aims to expand quality health and WASH services, and increase the uptake of key high-impact interventions through a well-coordinated and fully functional community health program. Activities will include prevention and treatment of malaria; expanded family planning, nutrition, and immunization services; and maternal, neonatal, and child health interventions. The WASH Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, and execution of all activities related to basic water and sanitation services in households, improved management of fecal waste, and promotion of key hygiene behaviors. S/he will liaise with and maintain productive, collaborative relationships among project and in-country partners and provide technical leadership on implementation.
This is a key position on the project team and is contingent upon award to MCDI.
The WASH Senior Technical Advisor will:
- Work in close collaboration with the Chief of Party to develop tools and strategies to address all WASH-related activities for improved health outcomes;
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of the WASH team and support activities implemented by consortium staff, government counterparts and NGO/CBO sub-grantees;
- Improve access to water and sanitation services and strengthen county- and district-wide coverage of sustainable sanitation services as components of an integrated package of high impact interventions for community health;
- Oversee county- and district-wide triggering of communities to achieve open defecation free (ODF) status;
- Liaise with and oversee the development and expansion of implementation and management capacity among stakeholders (Ministry of Public Works, County WASH office, and National Water Sanitation and Hygiene Commission) to increase availability and sustainable management of safe water and sanitation;
- Contribute to strategic planning, implementation, and monitoring of WASH-related activities including a market-based sanitation approach;
- Ensure close collaboration and integration of programming to deliver a cohesive and efficient strategy;
- Design, implement and monitor community-based activities which promote hygienic practices among community health assistants and increase demand among families for improved WASH services;
- Track and report on accomplishments of activities within the workplan;
- Adapt and apply tools, national standards and guidelines, and best practices for use at the community levels to improve service delivery;
- Contribute to regular and ad hoc project reporting and the development of project deliverables;
- Professional degree in public health, WASH, or related social or engineering sciences required
- Significant experience in similar senior management roles leading technical teams is absolutely required
- Demonstrated experience supporting WASH interventions integrated within a community-based program required
- Demonstrated experience working with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders in WASH to build capacities in implementing their mandated responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience engaging the commercial private sector in the provision of goods and services to communities and sub-national governments to operate, maintain, and repair improved community-based WASH services
- Experience working with international donors is required
- Experience in writing scientific reports, manuscripts, and peer-reviewed publications is a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player and makes her/himself available as needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Proficient in the use of the standard Microsoft Office package with particular experience using Words, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer
- Willingness to travel domestically
- Priority will be given to Liberian nationals
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to [email protected]. Compensation will be based on USAID FSN scales.