Local recruitment: Project Manager (Water and ICT)
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The OQ is seeking to recruit a Project Manager to support the Office work on strategic initiatives within two sectors: Water and ICT.
Within the Water sector, the role of the Project Manager will be focused on progressing initiatives in Gaza. This includes working with the OQ water team to provide support and consultations to the parties and relevant stakeholders to push forward discussions and processes impacting the development and operationalization of water and wastewater infrastructure projects including the development of the Gaza Central Desalination Program.
In parallel, the Project Manager will be working with the ICT and Water Team Leader to continue supporting the Palestinian Authority (PA) in developing the Palestinian telecommunication sector. This includes providing support and consultations to the parties, the mobile operators and other relevant stakeholders to push forward discussions and processes to enable the introduction of data technologies in Gaza and to upgrade existing data technologies in the West Bank.
The time and efforts of the Project Manager will be allocated 60-70% on water workstreams and 30-40% on telecom workstreams depending on work developments and necessities. The Project Management role requires flexibility and the ability to work across both workstreams as needed.
The Project Manager will deliver his/her contributions to the following areas (under the overall leadership of, and in coordination with, with the Water and ICT Team Leader):
- Projects Management and Delivery;
- Project Communication and stakeholders’ support;
- Research, Analysis, and Writing;
The Scope of Work and the Deliverables outlined in this Terms of Reference apply to the role requested to be performed by the Project Manager for both workstreams Water and ICT.
The work is of a highly confidential nature and the contractor must maintain the highest standards of confidentiality.
Project Management and Delivery
- Contribute to the implementation of OQ’s ongoing water and wastewater related activities in Gaza and ongoing efforts within the ICT sector;
- Manage on day-to-day tasks and activities within the ICT and water workstreams;
- Lead in the production of internal documents and outputs as requested; workplans, presentations, reports and other tasks relevant to the ICT and Water workstreams;
Manage the outsourcing of any planned or ad-hoc consultancies and in ensuring deliverables are met within acceptable tolerances;
- Support the ICT and water Team Leader in managing any risks pertaining to the delivery of all work-related assignments; if and when necessary.
Project Communication and Outreach
- Establish and/or maintain solid working relationships with stakeholders within the Water and ICT sectors and manage relationships with them;
- Participate in regular meetings with internal and external project stakeholders, to discuss progress and coordinate outputs or areas of cooperation within both sectors;
- Prepare a range of written communication documents for both workstreams (such as reports, presentations and project trackers) for purposes of sharing and/ or supporting cooperation with external stakeholders as needed;
- Assist with the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, site visits and/ or other relevant outreach activities relating to the different workstreams.
Research, Analysis, and Writing:
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of both sectors, by identifying challenges, opportunities for further engagements;
- Monitor news and developments related to both sectors and update the team accordingly;
- Support data and information gathering relevant to the different work-streams by conducting research and analysis.
Others: Provide cross-cutting assistance with other OQ priorities, as required.
Advanced degree (MA or PhD) in economics, business administration, international relations, development management or other development areas is preferred. Bachelor degree with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu.
5 years of relevant work experience required, either in a private sector or non-profit environment. Experience in the economic development within the fields of water and/or telecommunication in Palestine is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Project management skills: Ability to design, develop and deliver project(s); ability to plan in a coordinated manner, manage priorities and meet deadlines; management experience; ability to accurately monitor, evaluate and report on project progress; ability to manage and mitigate risks.
- Strong sectoral knowledge: Understanding of the Palestinian water and Wastewater sector and the telecommunication market.
- Excellent communication skills: Strong writing ability, business and report writing skills are preferred; skilled in creating knowledge products such as policy briefs, papers, guidance notes and other pieces directed at multiple audiences; ability to work under tight deadlines, juggling multiple competing tasks and prioritizing demands.
- Highly skilled in research and analysis: Very strong qualitative and analytic skills; keen attention to detail and data accuracy.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic