Public Health and Environment Advisor (SSA)
PURPOSE OF THE POST
To provide technical support to the Ministry of Health and Sanitation and partners in health development, in strengthening national capacity and accelerating the implementation of prevention and control measures related to communicable disease outbreaks and epidemics. To build expertise and improve technical and managerial capacity in specific areas of Environmental Health and Sanitation at all levels including developing regulations, standards and monitoring systems.
To set up systems for the implementation of prevention interventions that reduce environmental risks and promote public health. To contribute to the reduction of morbidity and mortality caused by major water and vector-borne diseases, through strengthening of prevention and control programmes. Under the direct supervision of the WHO Representative, the Officer is part of the WHO Country Office Core Team under the Health Security and Emergency (HSE) Cluster and is tasked with facilitating the prevention and control of priority diseases, providing guidance to the Ministry of Health and Sanitation and partners in strengthening WASH services in healthcare facilities and communities; assess health risks and develop and implement policies, strategies or regulations for the prevention, mitigation and management of the health impacts of environmental and occupational risks and the implementation of the International Health Regulations.
The Officer provides technical support to the Ministry of health and Sanitation and within the WCO in developing project matters relating to health and the environment proposals and represents the WCO in interagency meetings relating to health and environment.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Capacity building: Provide reorientation and retraining of existing Environmental Health workforce to build expertise and improve technical and managerial capacity in different fields at all levels including developing regulations, standards and monitoring systems.
- Projects preparation and implementation: Identify, formulate and implement a wide range of environmental health projects in partnership with other agencies.
- Support to WHO initiatives: Collaborate with other sectoral ministries, international organizations, bilateral agencies, NGOs to implement the WHO initiatives including Water Supply and Sanitation Initiatives with emphasis on the population at risk as part of the strategy for the control of water and sanitation related diseases.
- Field Activities: Carry out field activities with national counterparts in the construction of community based water supply and sanitation systems including rehabilitation, operation and maintenance, water quality monitoring and surveillance and operational research.
- Give technical support to related activities: Attend meetings with other collaborating agencies and sectors and participate as technical support team and other water and sanitation projects and programmes.
- Within the framework of the health emergency preparedness system: Collaborate with other ministries and organizations and provide technical support on the environmental health measures to be planned for disaster prevention and response (water treatment and supply, food hygiene, sanitation and waste disposal, latrines). Assist during humanitarian crisis and provide support in capacity building for the strengthening of the national health systems for appropriate response.
- Additional duties: Working in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health and other national and international stakeholders, provide technical support in epidemic preparedness and response.
- Provide technical support in the development of policies, strategic plans and guidelines on health and the environment interventions.
- Prepare technical and other reports
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative, Sierra Leone Country Office and direct supervision of the WHO Country Health Security and Emergency (HSE) Coordinator the consultant will closely work with the Directorate of Environmental Health and Sanitation, Ministry of Health and Sanitation and other relevant Ministries, Agencies and Departments.
- A University degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, Social Science or another relevant field.
- Postgraduate degree in Public Health; Environmental Sciences or related field.
- Five (5) years of experience in relevant field of expertise at country level. Experience working in the relevant field for WHO is an added advantage.
- Proven experience in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of relevant programmes
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, and database processing)
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Fostering integration and team work
- Producing Results
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Knowing and managing yourself.
Use of Language Skills
- Excellent knowledge of English language. A good knowledge of local language(s) including creole would be an advantage
REMUNERATION AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
NOC Level (SLL 16,384,833 Monthly rate)
Place of Assignment
- The consultant will be based in WHO Country office, Freetown, Sierra Leone with missions to the districts when necessary.