Global WASH Advisor
Are you a WASH specialist with a passion for training and WASH technical support? CAWST is not like other organizations, and this position is not like others. We are looking for a unique combination of skills, experience and interests including WASH and capacity development. You believe that everybody can learn, and you love training and supporting others to develop their WASH knowledge and skills. You are enterprising, resourceful, and motivated. You have an insatiable curiosity and are deeply committed to applying your skills and experience to making the world a better place.
The Position: Global WASH Advisor (French or Spanish Speaking)
Reports to: Senior Director, Global Services
Type: Full time, permanent
Location: The position is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. International travel is typically four trips per year. Up to 50% of your time will be spent overseas
Position start date: As soon as possible
Application Due Date: Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled
Compensation: Salary will be discussed in the personal interview so please include salary expectations in your cover letter
The Global WASH Advisor (GWA) is part of CAWST’s WASH Training and Consulting service delivery team. In this position, you will work directly with client organizations to increase their capacity to start, strengthen and grow their WASH programs. The GWA is responsible for providing professional technical training and ongoing consulting support to help our clients overcome technical and implementation challenges.
The GWA also works with Water Expertise and Training (WET) Centres and other training organizations to strengthen their capacity development services.
Each GWA is assigned responsibility for managing relationships and CAWST service provision in several countries, and developing and executing on their country and regional plans.
The GWA works closely with CAWST’s Learning Advisors and the Virtual Services team to develop learning and knowledge products that support our clients.
Areas of Responsibility
1. Build capacity of organizations to implement WASH projects and services. (50% time allocation)
- Train practitioners and client organizations, using a variety of methods including workshops, apprenticing, mentoring, and consulting.
- Provide face-to-face and online consulting support to clients, to help them solve technical challenges and overcome barriers to implementation.
- Adapt CAWST workshops and resources to various roles, skill levels, contexts, and needs of clients.
- Keep up-to-date on technical competencies, relevant research, and trends in the WASH sector.
2. Strengthen the capacity of organizations to provide WASH capacity development services. (25% time allocation)
- Work with CAWST’s Water Expertise and Training (WET) Centre partners and other organizations to develop their skills and capabilities in providing WASH training, consulting, and expertise.
- Work with partner organizations to develop strategy and plans, and seek funding.
3. Develop Business, Client and Funder Relations. (15% time allocation)
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients.
- Identify new potential training, networking, and client support opportunities.
- Seek funding to support your plan, including developing relationships with potential funders in your area of responsibility.
- Work closely with the fund development team and contribute to funding proposals that include programs in your region or area of expertise.
4. Contribute to CAWST’s Learning, Research, and other initiatives. (5% time allocation)
- Advance CAWST’s learning and research tools and resources, by collaborating with our Learning team to produce, maintain, review, and update education materials and tools, and act as subject matter expert contributing your skills and knowledge as required.
- Advance CAWST’s practical research by helping identify practical research topics and support research projects as required.
- Capture and share relevant information, data, stories, multimedia for CAWST’s monitoring, reporting and communications.
- Actively participate in personal and organizational professional development, including CAWST’s semi-annual Learning Exchanges (January and June).
5. Planning, Reporting, and Management. (5% time allocation)
- Support country managers to define plans, including definition of activities, targets, and budgets.
- Develop strong understanding of country contexts, client organizations, and key water & sanitation issues.
- Act as project manager, as appropriate, taking responsibility for planning, delivery, and reporting on approved projects.
- Contribute as appropriate to CAWST’s operations and business cycle (e.g., operations planning, monthly operations reports, budget reconciliations, timesheets, and trip reports).
Any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Directors of Global Services.
The ideal candidate is a WASH professional with considerable practical experience and broad WASH technical knowledge and skills. This important role requires a person who is service- and solutions-oriented, who enjoys helping others learn.
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in engineering, sciences, public health or other relevant discipline
- 5- 8 years experience implementing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs, including a minimum of 3 years delivering training and capacity development services.
- Significant experience implementing and managing projects in the following is highly desirable:
- Sanitation and excreta management
- Hygiene or health promotion and behaviour change
- Water supply and treatment
- Fluent written and spoken English, plus either French or Spanish required
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent technical knowledge and skills in implementing water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions
- Excellent written and verbal communications, with the ability to engage with different audiences to build rapport and motivate individuals
- Able to create a participatory learning environment and use a range of cross-cultural, participatory training, and facilitation methods
- Problem solver, resourceful, and able to troubleshoot technical problems quickly and effectively
- Strategic and proactive in coordination and project management
- Service-oriented and consistently seeks to provide a high level of professional service to clients and colleagues
- Easily and quickly establishes credibility with clients and other stakeholders
- Professional and diplomatic approach; works well independently, within teams, and across teams
- Enjoys international travel, able to work in challenging situations in different cultures, and readily learns from and adapts to different contexts
- Proficient with Windows-based computer programs, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled.
Please note: Only resumes from candidates eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed; and only those applicants granted an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Please answer all questions to the best of your ability. Be as specific as possible and keep each answer under half a page.
- What has motivated you to consider working at CAWST, and what excites you the most about this role?
- What is your philosophy on education and training? Please support with an example of experience you have had in training delivery and your role in the delivery.
- What was one of the most difficult problems you have faced in an international development context, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome?
- Of your technical experience, what do you believe is most relevant to the Global WASH Advisor role with CAWST?
- What are your long-term career goals and aspirations? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
CAWST is a Canadian charity and registered engineering consultancy. We teach people how to get safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene in their own homes, using simple, affordable technologies. To do so, we transfer knowledge and skills to organizations and individuals in low- and middle-income countries through education, training, and consulting resources and services. In turn, our clients catalyze households into taking action to meet their water and sanitation needs. Since 2001, CAWST’s network of clients has expanded to over 5,000 organizations worldwide across 190+ countries. Collectively we are making a difference at a scale beyond what any of us could do individually. Together, we are helping millions of people get better water or sanitation.
Our vision is a world where people have the opportunity to succeed because their basic water and sanitation needs have been met.
Our mission is to provide technical training and consulting, and to act as a centre of expertise in water and sanitation for the poor in developing countries.
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions, and collaborative and inclusive processes. We recognize and accept differences in cultural and religious beliefs.