Job Title: Emergency Response Program Manager II – Shelter and WASH
Reports To: Emergency Coordinator
Country/Location: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Since the crisis in Northeast Nigeria escalated in 2013, the situation for IDPs and returnees has continued to worsen. A growing number of people are in urgent need of assistance, and alarming rates of acute malnutrition have been reported. The re-opening of Local Government Areas (LGAs), many which have been inaccessible for an extended period of time, has led to the identification of new IDP locations in Borno State, while ongoing conflict between the military and insurgent groups has resulted in the influx of more IDPs into Maiduguri metropolis and the establishment of several spontaneous camps. The number of IDPs in both Maiduguri, Jere and other LGAs continue to increase — with the current reports indicating a total of 1.6 million IDPs in Borno State alone.
Through funding from multiple donors, including the US Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) and the Latter Day Saints Charities (LDSC), CRS implements WASH, Shelter and Non-food items (NFI) programming in Borno state. The programs support IDP and local communities through the rehabilitation of water points, installation of sanitation infrastructure, construction of shelter, capacity building in Housing, Land, and Property (HLP) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), distribution of NFI and hygiene promotion. In addition, following a successful pilot project, CRS Nigeria has received donor funds to expand a rapid response mechanism in the NE. CRS primarily uses direct implementation approaches and remote management to implement its programming in the Northeast.
You will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the Country Program (CP) Emergency Shelter and WASH programming ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its Emergency Response.
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight of all new and existing projects within the CP Emergency Shelter and WASH programming throughout the project cycle to ensure project design, start-up, implementation and close-out are in line with CRS quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise foreign and national staff. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Lead the development of program learning – identify opportunities for learning, research and publications.
- Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency knowledge management agenda. Ensure integration of innovations and best practices.
- Contribute to the proactive pursuit of opportunities for new funding to ensure growth of the CP portfolio in line with agency, regional, and CP strategic priorities.
- Serve as the technical lead and technical writer to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor standards. Contribute to budget development and staffing plans and activities for proposals.
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities in Emergency programming for staff and partner organizations to enhance program quality and impact.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of partnerships relevant to Emergency programming and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Ensure timely and appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources.
- Identify opportunities to optimize layering of emergency and resilience activities and to implement the CRS NE Nigeria strategy: the Humanitarian — Development Nexus.
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or in the field of cash-based programming required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relevant field-based project management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in the area of Emergency programming in a conflict zone
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects preferably with an international NGO.
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Experience in market-based approaches and Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA) required.
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality technical proposals.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
- Familiarity with Cash and Asset Transfer platforms, such as RedRose
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions
- Demonstrated experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardshi
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer