Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in the world. The IRC assists, provides rehabilitation and provides post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. Present in more than 40 countries, IRC’s mission is to help the people whose lives and livelihoods are affected by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and take charge of their future.
In the face of a growing humanitarian crisis, the IRC is launching emergency programs in the Far North and South West regions of Cameroon. The planned programs include environmental health (EH), Protection and Rule of Law (PROL), Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) and the Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE).
The Community Mobilizer will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of hygiene promotion activities at the village level as indicated by the Hygiene promotion Officer. The main purpose of this position is to assist the Hygiene promotion Officer in the implementation of hygiene promotion activities in the communities. This includes the training of voluntary community hygiene workers and hygiene education in communities. The Community Mobiliser spends most of his/her time in the Community, identifying target communities, establishing relationships with community leaders, taking part in field level implementation activities, such as: hygiene promotion with a focus on cholera prevention, assessments, identifying potential beneficiaries, registering beneficiaries, the delivery of materials, taking part in distributing assistance (e.g. WASH Kits ) to beneficiaries. The position will supervise Community Hygiene Workers (CHWs) and will report to the Hygiene promotion Officer.
Place of employment:
The Community Mobilizer for the EH program will be based in one of the intervention localities of Bakassi or Bamusso.
- Lead the community mobilization process, implement a participatory community targeting approach for the identification and registration of project beneficiaries (IDPs, host populations)
- Prepare and organize all training materials for hygiene promotion workshops to be held in each village for CHW’s education and for teaching community about latrine construction and its importance.
- Organize and supervise the door to door visit with CHWs on cholera prevention;
- Deliver hygiene promotion workshops to IDP CHW’s, in collaboration with the partners;
- Mobilize IDP and host communities to participate in latrine construction and hygiene education training conducted by CHW’s.
- Take part in the identification, registration and selection of Project beneficiaries according to defined selection criteria;
- In conjunction with IRC Partners and the IRC WASH team, participate in sensitizing key stakeholders, community leaders and communities;
- Take part during the distribution of WASH kits products to beneficiaries within target locations.
- Follow up on complaints and report to supervisor
- Collect the relevant data during project implementation and regularly provide reports to his/her supervisor;
- Monitor the WASH kits distribution process
- Monitoring of awareness raising on good hygiene practices, prevention of cholera
- Assist in data collection during surveys and post-distribution assessments and Knowledge, Attitude and Practice surveys when necessary
- Manage complaints made by beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries after consultations with their supervisor;
- All other functions assigned by the supervisor to allow the development of IRC programs
- Forward purchase requests if necessary
Commit to respecting the IRC Way (IRC Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct).
Commit to ensuring the optimal implementation of IRC Policies in the context of their work.
Be available to carry out any other ad hoc task deemed useful by his/her direct superior or by the IRC.
Produce reports on programmatic activities on a weekly and monthly basis
- Have a General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level or Baccalaureate or any other equivalent diploma;
- Minimum one year of professional experience in business or in an NGO preferably, proven ability in community mobilization, identification, registration and selection of beneficiaries is highly required;
- Fluent in English and pidgin and excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Have a good presentation and a respectful attitude towards beneficiaries, local authorities, community leaders, colleagues and superiors;
- Knowledge of some local languages,, cultures and traditions would be an asset
- Be flexible; ability to work in a team, sometimes under pressure and often in an unstable security environment.
- Have an excellent command of computer tools: Word, Excel, Power Point and MS Outlook.
- Have a sense of organization and a strong time management ability.
- Have excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Knowing how to ride a motorcycle and having a motorcycle driving license would be an asset
- Be of Cameroonian nationality.
Presentation of the file.
An up to date (CV);
The names, positions, telephone number and e-mail address of at least two professional references;
NB: Deadline for the admissibility of files: 14th February, 2020 at 5 p.m. precise.