Canada nationals: Watershed Hydrogeologist
This position supports the implementation of the Water Act and its modernized, transparent water management processes. It plays a strong role in the ability of Islanders to thrive with a high quality drinking water resource and protect a healthy aquatic environment. The purpose of this position is to provide leadership and management of the province's water resources through expert hydrologic and hydrogeological assessments, management of administrative permitting processes and auditing of water resource usage. The incumbent will be responsible for the delineation of watershed level surface water and groundwater flow regimes and to advise on their management with respect to both water quantity and quality through the integration with watershed management planning undertaken under the Water Act. The position supports the Department's objectives of conservation and enhancement of the province's natural resources for the benefit of both the environment and the people of PEI. Duties to include;
- Completing numerical hydrologic and hydrogeological modelling of watersheds on PEI to support strategies and decisions necessary to address water quality and quantity issues;
- Implement strategies that modernize the management of water use for drinking water and industrial use while protecting habitat for aquatic life;
- Assessing the impact of irrigation water withdrawals by activities such as agriculture and development that strongly impact the groundwater and surface water resources;
- Developing strategies to address the modernization of water use management that will protect aquatic habitat while providing sufficient, responsible amounts of water for drinking and industry on a provincial basis;
- Liaising with national experts on groundwater across the country to stay current on developments in groundwater assessment procedures and science knowledge;
- Assisting in the development of regulations relating to groundwater and surface water such as water extraction, water registry, water management areas, fees regulations, etc;
- Conducting hydrogeology and detailed groundwater/surface water interaction modelling utilizing Visual Modflow and related software;
- Preparing maps and reports documenting the specific results of the work and communicating the results of the modelling to various clients such as municipal officials, watershed groups and the general public and other duties as assigned.
- Masters of Science university degree in hydrogeology with training in saturated/unsaturated groundwater flow and transport
- modelling and groundwater contamination.
- Considerable experience in groundwater/surface water modelling.
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Considerable experience in numerical groundwater modelling software including familiarity with Visual Modflow or related software.
- Experience with well construction techniques as well as hydrogeologic and hydrologic field methods and basic understanding of well hydraulics including data interpretation.
- Familiarity with GIS software.
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills for working in a collaborative environment, ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Demonstrated writing skills preparing technical reports and policy documents.
- Must hold a valid driver's license.
- Successful candidate must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check prior to starting employment.
- Applicants must have a good previous work and attendance record.
- Additional relevant education and experience will be considered an asset.
Preference will be given to UPSE Civil Employees as per the UPSE Collective Agreement.
Please Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The "Notification of Successful Candidates" list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Salary Range: $31.53 - $39.41 per hour (Level 18)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Closing Date: Friday, February 21, 2020 5:00 p.m.
Please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms. You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.gov.pe.ca/jobs. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone 368-4080.