The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with Country Programme Offices in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia, Niger, Republic of Congo, Tanzania, and Uganda. AIRD’s objective is to offer operational technical support, including but not limited to: supply chain, logistics and infrastructure in partnership with relief and development organisations that focus on disaster-affected and development-oriented areas with high poverty levels. AIRD delivers for and through partners including but not limited international and national donor organisations and governments.
AIRD seeks to recruit a Program Manager for an anticipated USAID/OFDA Project to improve shelter and sanitary conditions through the construction of shelters and latrine/shower blocks for the displaced persons in Djugu Territory, Ituri province, and with the accompanying sanitation and hygiene promotion activities amongst the same and wider community groups.
The Program Manager will manage, coordinate, and monitor Shelter, WASH activities, in addition to management of NFI distribution. The Program Manager and also relationships with other Implementing and Operating Partners, IDP and host community Leaders, Local Government and other project stakeholders to assist the achievement of the program objectives advancing AIRD work serving the beneficiaries. The Project Manager’s skills and knowledge of the program area will ensure that AIRD’s WASH program delivers high-quality programming and builds on ongoing activities while ensuring compliance to AIRDs Standard Operating Procedures, Strategic Plan and Donor requirements.
● Conduct activities pertaining to Program management, supportive supervision and coordination of daily program activities in the field.
● Conduct regular field and site visits to ensure effective implementation of the program/ project activities at grass root levels
● Participate actively in preparing project reports and budgets
● Supervise projects to ensure quality of activities being conducted and learning.
● Measure Project performance using appropriate tools and techniques
● Establish and maintain effective communication with the donor and other lead agencies regarding Program management matters
● Provide updates through the Country Director to the Head Office, Donors and Partners of operations and program progress on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
● Manage daily project management for all WASH/construction activities
● Oversee and coordinate assigned engineering, planning, design, and construction works
● Adhere to quality, budget and schedule requirements
● Coordinate the administration and approval process for projects and provide updates
● Coordinate the development of contracts for a variety of construction projects
● Raise awareness of the project, train persons at the community level to take participate in the project.
● Oversee and coordinate the distribution of kits and other NFIs and manage cash for work
● Liaise with partners to ensure proper and comprehensive project implementation
● Undertake technical and feasibility studies including site investigations, complex and repetitive calculations
● Address protection and gender aspects in program implementation
● Assess the sustainability and environmental impact of projects
● Participate in the induction of new staff in the Field Office
● Conduct appraisals of line managed staff as per AIRD systems
● Support the selection, recruitment and disciplinary systems and procedures of Office staff
● Participate in the national staff capacity building, identification of staff training needs and providing mentoring support where appropriate
Reporting and Communications
● Ensure daily communication and coordination with the Country Management Team, participate in CMT meetings and coordinate Field Office management meetings and briefings
● Ensure timely and detailed production of AIRD program internal reports as directed by the CPD
● Represent AIRD when dealing with local authorities, other organizations and NGOs in program related issues.
● Ensure all relevant parties are kept informed of AIRD activities as appropriate
● Support the CPD in his/her in-country Public Relations/Communications role
Donor and partner related activity
● Coordinate the collection of information, and draft reports and budgets for submission to Head Office for approval
● Identify and collect information on possible ongoing donor funding and future funding opportunities to complement the programme activities
● Create and maintain relationships with donors, partners and other parties
● Develop and maintain systems for recording program activities, outputs and impact
● Provide relevant materials, case studies, photographs, events and media contacts in line with AIRD’s corporate profile, identity and message as directed by the CPD and Head office Communications Department
● Develop appropriate internal reporting formats and ensure effective internal information flows
Must be conversant with English and French (written and spoken)
● At least 7 years practical experience in humanitarian response
● Ability to design and discuss a project
● Specialist in Shelter / WASH knowledge
● Ideally to have experience in WASH construction
● Experience with USAID procedures;
● Minimum bachelor’s degree and/or post graduate degree in Construction, Environmental Health or related field
● Experience working with international development partners, international nongovernmental organization (INGOs) and donors (in particular USAID/OFDA experience) is an asset Willing to travel for program requirements
How to apply:
Applications accompanied by updated CVs may the sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.