Pakistan nationals: National Legal Specialist (Water Law)
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The objective of the consulting services to be recruited through the TA is to help the PID enhance its
capacity for transforming its service delivery from a traditional irrigation water deliverer to a WRD
that holistically manage water resources and for the PID to respond to the Punjab Water Policy approved
by Provincial Cabinet and Punjab Water Act, 2019 likely to be approved by Provincial Assembly.
Scope of Work
• Study the Punjab Water Act, 2019 and identify the legal framework for its implementation.
• Coordinate and consult with various stakeholders in the preparation of rules and regulations.
• Identify any other legal requirements for implementation of the Punjab Water Act, 2019
• Help the Department, the Punjab Irrigation Department and DG Water Resources Commission in designing
and vetting the templates for various type of licenses
• Liaise with the Legal Specialist (international) for quality assurance of regulations as per world
best practices and international requirements.
• Any other task assigned by the Executing Agency
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
- Formulate delegated legislation under the Punjab Water Act, 2019 in coordination with the Punjab
Irrigation Department (PID)
- Provision of support during legislative process
- Support water allocation experts in formulation of water allocation policy
- Assist PID and DG set ups (Punjab Water Resources Commission and Water Services Regulatory Authority)
for implementation of legal framework and Punjab Water Act 2019
- Design of various licensing templates and develop terms and conditions of various type of licenses
Minimum Qualification Requirements
The Legal Specialist must have a graduate degree in law with a minimum of 10 years work experience in
Pakistan. S/he should be able to demonstrate drafting expertise with regard to subordinate legislation.
The consultant should have in depth knowledge of water related legislation in Pakistan. Experience in
foreign funded projects with multi-disciplinary teams will be given preference.