WASH Advisor (60-80%)
Helvetas is a development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Water and Infrastructure team in Switzerland (Zurich or Berne) – as per May 1st, 2020 or upon agreement – we are looking for a goal-oriented and pragmaticWash Advisor (60-80%).
The Water and Infrastructure (WIN) team provides advisory services to Helvetas programmes and to external clients. The advisory team focusses on the thematic working fields of Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), integrated water resources management and rural access. With its work, the team contributes to increased access to sustainable WASH services for people living in developing countries.
- Providing technical and strategic demand-based advice to Helvetas programmes and projects and external clients (donors, private sector) regarding water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Delivering trainings and capacity development support for a wide range of internal and external clients
- Contributing to thematic development on WASH, which involves the development and dissemination of methods, tools and guidelines, staff training and partnership development
- Acquisition of advisory mandates and support fundraising activities related to WASH
- Representing Helvetas in events and networks
- Contribute to advocacy on WASH
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, environmental sciences or related discipline
- At least five years’ experience as technical advisor and/or project manager in the water sector with a broad experience in Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in an international context
- At least three years working experience in development cooperation with long-term and short-term assignments on WASH programmes
- Proven expertise in at least two of the following WASH topics:
- WASH in humanitarian response situations, integration of disaster and climate resilience criteria in WASH
- WASH sector governance
- Market-based approaches to WASH
- Household water treatment and safe storage, sanitation technology and services, use of new technologies for WASH services
- WASH in health care facilities, integration with nutrition
- Proven advisory competences and experience in capacity development
- Good communication and facilitation skills, able to work in teams and independently
- Experience and successful track record in acquiring advisory mandates and/or projects
- Excellent spoken and written English and French and/or German; Spanish, Russian or Portuguese skills would be additional assets
We Offer You
Attractive working conditions in interdisciplinary team and a multicultural setting, workplace in Berne or Zurich (close to the main station).
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas by February 19, 2020. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal. For additional information, please contact Ms Bernita Doornbos, Head Water and Infrastructure team (+41 (0)44 368 65 28) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.