The overall objective of the project component “Irrigated Agriculture in Egypt”, which part of the “Water and Wastewater Management Programme Egypt“, is to improve framework conditions for water loss reduction and efficient water use in agriculture at the field level in selected areas of the Nile Delta. The project is clustered into four output areas, namely (1) improved service provision of farmer cooperatives related to efficient use of water resources in irrigation, (2) improved service provision of agriculture extension services related to water-saving cultivation practices and more efficient irrigation, (3) climate-sensitive water needs planning and efficient operation and maintenance of improved irrigation infrastructure and (4) strengthening of the complaint management system for optimizing irrigation services and for avoiding conflicts.
- Technical and organizational management of the project component irrigated agriculture
- Budget planning, operational planning and reporting of the results achieved towards project partners, GIZ and BMZ
- Advising and assisting the Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation and sub-state secretaries of two governorates in the Nile delta and the executive organizations in planning, organizing and implementing the project activities
- Leading a team of national staff members in Cairo and steering assignments of short term experts in selected Governorates in the Nile delta
- Quality assurance, impact monitoring and knowledge management for the further development of the conceptual design of the sub-sector components
- Selection and management of national and international short-term and long-term consultants as well as their work results
- Managing international and national tenders and contracts
- Cooperation and exchange with other bilateral and multilateral programs and donors in the sector and of development partner groups on water and agriculture
- Support the program manager in the external presentation of the program at GIZ, BMZ, and German delegations
- Completed university degree in agriculture, irrigation, environmental or comparable courses
- Several years of professional experience in planning and implementation of international development cooperation projects in the field of irrigated agriculture
- Background in strategies and mechanisms in the area of value chains, advisory services to smallholder farmers, and farmer cooperatives
- Good sense of political and technical advice at all hierarchical levels
- Experience in the design of participatory coordination processes
- Excellent management and network skills
- Experience in leading international or local teams
- Proficient English language skills are mandatory. German language skills are desirable and Arabic language skills would be an advantage
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Egypt.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This Position is with potential extension for additional 3 years.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.