The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, food security, livelihoods, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 6000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. NRC runs the world’s largest standby rosters NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC in the Islamic Republic in Iran
NRC started operations in Iran in 2012. We currently deliver humanitarian assistance in 9 provinces in the sectors of Education, Food Security and livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter construction, as well as Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). We co-lead several technical inter-agency working groups and provide capacity building to humanitarian partners in country. Next to our programs, NRC Iran also built an advocacy unit to develop joint messages and initiatives amongst INGOs to improve rights of the displaced.
Following several recent breakthroughs, NRC Iran is scaling up substantially its activities in support of the Government of Iran efforts towards an estimated 3,6 million Afghans residing in country and is expanding its programme unit.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement, methods and approaches and contribution to the development of materials and programmatic tools
- Promote the rights of refugees and displaced in line with the advocacy strategy
- Identify and report protection needs and gaps, explore and propose new and safer ways to assist
- Contribute to the preparation of technical drawings and specifications for the implementation of Shelter/WASH activities
- Conduct regular needs assessments including joint school assessments with the Education CC to determine the needs for school rehabilitation
- Contribute to calculate the bill of quantities (BoQ) and preparation of cost estimations aligned with standards and within the allocated budget
- Conduct quality control and provide technical support to NRC’s contractors
- Support NRC Logistics and Finances Department preparing the required documents for tendering processes for the implementation of Shelter/WASH activities (e.g. procurement of materials and contracting suppliers)
- Monitor progress of construction works and document when a contractor has met a threshold and contribute in the process related to documentation of discrepancies or certificate of completion
- Conduct community mobilization and beneficiary selection activities to ensure that Shelter and WASH services and delivered targeting beneficiaries most in need of protection
- Hand over services to beneficiaries (including shelter, NFIs, Hygiene Kits, and handover of construction or rehabilitation of schools and community buildings) including reconciliation of deliverables
- Contribute in developing of monitoring tools and employ them to constantly observe and report on quantity and quality of implemented work
- University degree in Civil Engineering (preferably structural expertise) or Project Management.
Certification from the Iranian Construction Engineering Organization (CEO) on Calculation, Monitoring and/or Construction (grade 3 to 1)
- At least 5 years of work experience with similar responsibilities in Shelter and WASH activities including Construction or rehabilitation works or supervision.
- Having proven experience in calculation of building structure and executive construction projects.
- Previous work experience in complex and volatile contexts, preferably working with Gov. bodies
- Fluency in English and Persian, both written and spoken
- Proficiency in related software such as SAFE, ETABS, shop drawing, AutoCAD, REVIT, MS project and Microsoft Office
- Experience working with NGO/INGO will be a plus
- Experience in community mobilization highly desirable
- Experience working in WASH sector, as well as with local communities will be a plus
- Experience responding to natural disasters will be a plus
- Good planner
- Strong communication skills
- Flexibility and Team player
We can offer
Duty Station: Kerman
Contract: Until end of 2020
Salary: Based on NRC Salary scale
Local Kermani and Kerman residents strongly encourage to apply