Helvetas is a development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Environment and Climate Change team in Switzerland (Zurich or Berne) – as per April 1, 2020 or upon agreement – we are looking for a goal-oriented and pragmatic Advisor Disaster Risk Management (80-100%).
The Environment and Climate Change (ECC) team provides advisory services to programmes and projects of Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation and to external clients on climate change adaptation and mitigation, disaster risk management, sustainable management of common pool resources (e.g. forests, rangelands) and biodiversity conservation. With its work, the team aims at contributing to increased climate and disaster resilience of people living in developing countries.
Your work as advisor will thematically focus on disaster risk management (DRM), disaster resilience and the linkages between DRM, climate change adaptation, development cooperation and humanitarian response. In these fields, you provide demand-based thematic advice to country programmes and projects of Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation and to external clients. You are responsible for thematic development on DRM, which involves the development and dissemination of methods, tools and guidelines, staff training and partnership development on DRM. Moreover, you lead acquisitions and support fund-raising activities related to DRM. You represent Helvetas in the Swiss NGO DRR Platform and other platforms and networks, both in Switzerland and internationally. You also contribute to the further development of the engagement of Helvetas in the area of humanitarian response.
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, geography, environmental sciences or any other relevant subject matter
- At least six years working experience in development cooperation, humanitarian response and/or consultancy with assignments that are thematically relevant, including at least three years continuous long-term assignments in the South or East, and short-term advisory experience for different clients
- Proven expertise in disaster risk management, disaster resilient infrastructure, and humanitarian response; ideally also in urban contexts
- Experience in grey and green infrastructure for resilience, modelling and GIS skills would be assets
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills, proven advisory competences and experience in capacity development
- Good communicator and facilitator able to work in teams and independently
- Experience and successful track record in acquiring advisory mandates and/or projects
- Excellent spoken and written English, French and/or German skills; Spanish, Russian or Portuguese skills would be additional assets
We offer you
Attractive working conditions in interdisciplinary team and a multicultural setting, work place in Berne or Zurich (close to the main station).
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas by February 16, 2020. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal. For additional information, please contact Ms. Bernita Doornbos, Head Water and Infrastructure and Head Environment and Climate Change a.i. (+41 (0)44 368 65 28) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.