Government Relations Adviser
Want to use your skills in advocacy and experience of engaging with the Scottish Government and Parliament to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as Government Relations Adviser to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good. On top of that you'll be joining a 2018 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation.
The WaterAid Campaigns and Advocacy Team plays a leadership role across the WaterAid Federation to drive the design and delivery of WaterAid's major advocacy and campaigns efforts to achieve SDG 6 - the global targets to secure clean water, decent sanitation and good hygiene (WASH) for all by 2030.
We see enormous potential in Scotland to build support for our vital work. As our dynamic and self-sufficient Government Relations Adviser in Scotland, you will lead WaterAid's work to influence key decision makers and expand the reach of our advocacy and campaigning in Scotland, based on the global advocacy priorities of the organisation.
This is an 18 month fixed-term contract with possibility of extension to permanent (subject to funding and ongoing requirement). You will be based either in our existing WaterAid office in Glasgow, or home-based in Edinburgh, with regular travel to our main WaterAid UK office in London and some overseas travel.
In this role, you will develop and lead the political advocacy strategy for Scotland, based on global advocacy priorities, with specific focus on achieving national level change (in Scotland and our programme countries) and influencing of high level targets and processes.
* Work closely with fundraising and strategic partnership colleagues in Scotland to identify opportunities to maximise the impact of WaterAid advocacy objectives towards priority targets, including building on WaterAid's excellent relationship with Scottish Water.
* Coordinate and lead on the delivery of WaterAid's political advocacy priorities in Scotland working closely with UK advocacy, policy, communications and mass engagement, strategic partnerships and programme colleagues.
* Maintain and strengthen partnerships with civil society allies and networks in Scotland, in order to share information and collaborate over opportunities, developing joint strategies, campaigns and action.
* Plan, organise and coordinate strategic advocacy engagement at priority campaign moments and events.
To be successful, you'll need:
- Extensive advocacy experience, demonstrated by examples of strategic impact on policy change and experience of using policy, research, lobbying, public campaigning, media and digital work to influence a political agenda.
- Knowledge of the political and civil society environment in Scotland.
- A keen political 'savviness' and an awareness of the potential for achieving political change within Scottish political structures, with proven experience of engaging with and influencing decision makers in the Scottish Government and Parliament.
- Understanding and experience of employing imaginative communication techniques and an appreciation of how those tools could work with policy, research and lobbying to influence a political agenda.
To see the full job pack, please click "Apply"
Starting salary: £38,000 - £40,100, dependent on experience, with excellent benefits.
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in one document in either Word Document or PDF format. Please name the file with your full name.
Applications will close one minute before midnight on Monday 17 February 2020. Interviews will take place in WaterAid's Glasgow office in w/c 2 March.
WaterAid benefits include
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working up to 2 days a week
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
- Enhanced Maternity and Adoption/Surrogacy pay, Shared Parental Leave and Paternity Leave.
- Volunteer Day
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority and we take our responsibilities extremely serious. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at