Position Summary: The Natural Resource Policy Specialist position is responsible for working with the Director of Government Affairs and the other members of the government affairs team to be a liaison with Congress, federal natural resource agencies, stakeholder groups and coalitions with interests in natural resource management issues. This position will work with the association’s committees and resource policy groups in planning, developing and executing NACD’s legislative and policy program; communicating the association’s policy positions to external audiences; monitoring and preparing articles, updating association’s members on federal issues of interest; and assisting in the development of policy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strong knowledge of specific policies related to natural resource concerns including federal lands, water, forestry, grazing, endangered species and other associated issues
- Knowledge of conservation districts, their work and their customers
- Ability to assess policy initiatives for association leaders and membership and draft complex, technical policy documents, including public comments and congressional testimony
- Ability to communicate complex issues for a variety of audiences through articles, blog posts and other media
- Willingness to work as part of a team and be responsive to membership needs and schedules
- Ability to assist in accomplishing grant deliverables across growing portfolio
- Provide support for and assist with planning membership and partner meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Capitol Hill and/or federal agency experience working within natural resources, forestry, public lands and/or related policy
- Positive member service attitude
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in an office setting
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills
This position is located in Washington, D.C., and will report to the Director of Government Affairs.