Desired start date: 02/03/2020
Duration of the mission: 12 months renewable
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI’s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) by making use of inclusive approaches and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI supports displaced people and affected communities immediately after a disaster through the distribution of various kits, cash for work, emergency access to safe drinking water) and in the early recovery phase by livelihood activities, reconstruction of dwellings, etc. SI’s programs build the communities resilience towards future hazard events, this includes how to evacuate people and possessions as soon as possible, how to protect villages and fields by building small-scale infrastructures (dykes, causeways), and how to incorporate adaptive coping strategies for farmers by establishing agricultural practices and livelihoods that are less vulnerable to natural disasters. Furthermore, SI’s 2020 strategy for Bangladesh has a three-pronged approach focusing on:
- Response to the protracted IDPs crisis with equitable basic services delivery through integrated programming for host and refugee communities;
- Strengthening the resilience of vulnerable communities to recurrent shocks and community-led advocacy for responsiveness, accountability and transparency in the access to resources;
- Enhancing access to services through inclusive programming;
The development and changes within Bangladesh require a variety of interventions. SI will need to retain its capacity to respond rapidly in the face of an emergency whilst focusing on mid-term and longer-term development goals.
About the job
The program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals.
He/she is in charge of supervising the operational teams allocated to his/her program.
He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
- Project relevance, quality and design
- Implementation and operational monitoring
- Personnel management
- Reporting / communication / representation
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Deputy Field coordinator for Programs
Line report(s) on base: 2 Activity Manager
Functional manager: WASH coordinator
Functional report(s): –
Main challenges for the position
Overall, the position is at an interesting crossroad: Most of the projects timelines (and implementation of activities) are stabilized and activities are on track, teams are familiar with the bulk of the activities while there is an important room for innovation and an interesting strategical development is on-going. On the other side, the workload is very important, as well as the professionals and humanitarians challenges, especially on external coordination tasks. Some organizational processes could be improved and the strategy have to be operationalized coherently with the field constraints. This a multi-grant position, which require a strong proficiency in budget management and follow up.
In this sense, we are looking for an experimented profile, proficient and senior in program management, with a special focus on external coordination, big volume of activities and staffs (capacity building is a key responsibility), and with a wide range of wash competencies. We are looking for someone motivated and solid enough to deal with complex implementation issues and flexible, as well as result oriented, facing internal and external problems, keeping constructive approach and able to manage high-level stress.
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Large size of operations including emergency projects having tight implementation timeframes.
- Wide range of donors requiring good attention to details and organization capacities.
- An important involvement to ensure strategic and long-term gains is required.
- Heavy external coordination, that has been lighten but will remain present, given the Cox’s Bazar sector pyramidal structure.
- Complex socio-political context, which requires strong analytical and diplomatic skills.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Support the smooth transition from the host communities focused context to the camps and host communities context.
- Go ahead with the improvement of program quality through adapted tools, Activity Managers coaching and capacity building.
- Ensure the development of stronger technical documents for the assessment and the follow-up of field works
- Liaise with the technical partners (Aquassistance, Groundwater relief, etc.) to enhance the quality of the missions’ programs. (Drillings, solar systems, solid waste management, etc.)
Education: Post graduate level in Wash related field
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant international experience in a humanitarian or development NGO in Wash sector;
- Previous experience as program manager, handling big workload, big scale project, wide portfolio.
- Previous experience and reliability in handling multiples grants.
- Previous experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts
- Proven experience as an efficient and effective manager, mainly in capacity building/coaching
- Previous experience with Solidarités International on program position is strongly appreciated
- Experience of donor reporting requirements
- Proven experience in efficient external coordination with different stakeholders at base level.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong knowledge in project management, and monitoring tools.
- Deep and wide knowledge in WASH approaches and methodologies, both for hard and soft activities (hydrogeology, fecal sludge management, hydrology, renewable energies, …)
- Knowledge or familiarity with anthropology/sociology
- Capacity to deal with many different issues, to self- update and learn very quickly from a highly and constantly evolving environment
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines is essential
- Good problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills;
- Strong diplomatic and smooth leadership skills is essential;
- Skills in creating and developing a good working environment and team cohesion in and out support department.
Languages: excellent English, written and spoken is essential
SI will offer you
A salaried post: according to experience from 1980 Euros gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem of 450 USD.
Social and medical cover: International staffs benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Security context and living conditions:
The office and guesthouse in Dhaka, Cox and Teknaf are comfortable, well located in terms of security, adapted to SI team’s needs, and assuring to international staff the minimum standard in terms of privacy and comfort. The working environment is positive and the context, differently in each location, give some opportunities of social life, especially in Cox’s Bazar, one of the most touristic cities of the country, hosting the majority of humanitarian actors.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension