Ceres is working with companies, investors, water providers, farmers, policymakers, environmental organizations and other stakeholders to improve water management and increase reporting on water issues that pose risks to businesses, communities and the environment.
The Agricultural Water Risk Program is seeking a graduate student this summer to help us advance our work on analyzing and addressing water risks related to the food and beverage sector. While providing some administrative support, the intern will primarily work across various topic areas using skills ranging in research, marketing, quantitative analysis and writing (short memos, case studies, data narratives etc.).
The intern will support the Agriculture and Water Risk initiative, with a focus on the continued rollout of Feeding Ourselves Thirsty, the Ceres/WWF AgWater Challenge, investor engagements pertaining to water and agriculture, and dissemination of the findings of a report on corporate sustainable sourcing commitments.
Responsibilities will include”:
- Leading daily tracking of news flow and earnings impacts related to agricultural water risk and produce a synthesis of findings for distribution
- Analyzing financial disclosures of Feeding Ourselves Thirsty companies and other food and beverage companies to track and capture references to water-related risks and financial impacts
- Researching and analyzing sustainable sourcing commitments made by food and beverage companies and financial incentives provided by these companies to encourage sustainable agriculture practices amongst their suppliers
- Conducting research on food and beverage companies to support investor engagement including sign-on letters, dialogues, and shareholder resolutions
- Conducting research on food and beverage companies to support dialogues with companies pertaining to the AgWater Challenge, as needed
- Supporting the continued execution of the communications and marketing strategy for the recent Feeding Ourselves Thirsty analysis
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Interest in agriculture, water issues, sustainability, finance, and responsible investing
- Knowledge of digital marketing strategies a plus
- Comfortable with the Google Suite and knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Knowledge of investment analysis methods or desire to learn how to use the Bloomberg Terminal a plus
Program areas of work include:
- Providing support to the Agriculture and Water Risk initiative, with a focus on the ongoing rollout of Feeding Ourselves Thirsty and the AgWater Challenge. This includes conducting research and analysis on food companies, supporting the team with tracking news flow and pulling examples of risk, building out power points for external presentations, and doing company/investor research on the Bloomberg terminal.
- Conduct research on new areas of overlap with water risk and opportunities in other industries including textiles and apparel, semiconductors, pharmaceuticals and more.
For more information, see Ceres’ Water Program: https://www.ceres.org/issues/water
How to Apply
- Review each program internship opportunity carefully at https://www.ceres.org/about-us/career-opportunities/ and apply for the one you feel is a best fit.
- If you are interested in applying for this position, please press the ‘Apply for this position’ button below and submit a resume, cover letter, and two (2) brief writing samples, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.