Lend a hand, rebuild a community: start as a FEMA Floodplain Management Reservist! The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is seeking candidates to apply for Floodplain Management Specialist positions in the FEMA Reservist Program. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their time of greatest need. We are looking for candidates interested in making a meaningful difference in recovering communities, while enjoying good benefits, a flexible schedule, and adopting the FEMA sense of adventure.
As a Floodplain Management Specialist, you will help communities rebuild stronger after disaster events and assist survivors in their time of greatest need through the promotion of compliance with all applicable floodplain management regulations, ordinances, executive orders, policies, and guidance to reduce the risk of current and future flooding, resulting in more resilient communities.
Someone has to answer the call. Will it be you?
*This is an intermittent position; location and employment is dictated by the need of ongoing emergency response efforts. As a FEMA Floodplain Reservist you are deployable to all locations within the United States and its territories. This is an entry level position and FEMA Reservists are not compensated in between deployments.
As a Floodplain Management Specialist, you will promote compliance with all applicable floodplain management regulations, ordinances, executive orders, policies and guidance, through:
· Providing general technical assistance and communicating Hazard Mitigation program information.
· Gathering, reviewing, and organizing disaster-related information and field data for analysis and recommendation;
· Coordinating with immediate supervisor to identify goals, objectives, actions, and tasks to accomplish State and local Hazard Mitigation (HM) priorities;
· Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners, local and state officials, city/county/parish councils, building officials, and floodplain managers;
· Using applicable systems, software, tools, reference materials, and equipment to respond to inquiries from internal and external partners regarding floodplain management concepts; and
· Completing floodplain determinations for proposed temporary housing sites and Public Assistance project sites.
A degree is not required in order to apply, however, having an education on how the emergency management system works in the federal government, along with having a working knowledge in the following fields is encouraged:
- Emergency Management
- Urban Planning
- Marine Biology
- Earth Sciences
- Environmental Management & Sciences
- Fisheries and Wildlife
- Geology & Mining
- Natural Resource Management
- You must be a U.S. citizen to be considered for this position
- You must successfully pass a background investigation
- Travel will be required
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Government credit card
- Selective service registration is required for males born after 12/31/59
What we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Experience with applying floodplain management theories and practices
- Certified Floodplain Manager License is a plus but not a requirement
- Experience with applying analytical and evaluative techniques to determine the extent of compliance with rules and regulations issued by the organization, or in measuring and evaluating mitigation program accomplishments
- Ability to provide technical advice and guidance to external stakeholders concerning mitigation issues
- A sense of adventure
- The desire to help others and create meaningful change in the world
Please visit our website for more information: https://www.fema.gov/what-mitigation/federal-insurance-mitigation-administration
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00 to $24.00 /hour