Environmental and Regulatory Advocacy Advisor
The Environmental and Regulatory Advocacy Advisor position provides issues management, environmental and/or regulatory advocacy and associated work products and support to Unconventional operating assets (operations). This Advisor will advocate company positions on emerging issues and regulations, primarily through national, state, and local trade organizations. He/she will also lead issues management support as directed by the ExxonMobil Upstream Oil and Gas Unconventional Resources Development Issue Management Team priorities.
The specific Advocacy operational areas of support for this position are the Bakken (North Dakota and Montana), the Rockies (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming).
The additional Advocacy specific subject areas of support for this position are air and methane advocacy.
Primary Job Functions
• Provide technical, operational, and regulatory input and knowledge to all advocacy deliverables including company and trade association proposed rule comment development, strategies, etc. for assigned operations area and/or subject matter. Assist with federal advocacy as needed and/or directed by Environmental and Regulatory Manager.
• Coordinate the review of proposed rules. Work with the business, operations, public and government affairs (P&GA), Law, etc to determine impact. Incorporate impact information into advocacy. Provide state and federal rule commentary on new and revised requirements and judge business impact. Provide support for broader P&GA activities such as communications materials that support environmental and regulatory advocacy.
• Prioritize and coordinate advocacy efforts and deliverables within the affected Unconventional Business Units (operating areas).
• Build support for advocacy strategy and initiatives with the Business Unit (BU) and Operations management through meetings and review. Provide updates and keep senior BU leadership informed.
• Incorporate clear feedback from operations contacts to improve advocacy products. Follow appropriate Delegation of Authority guidelines regarding the release of information.
• Collaborate constructively with relevant BU and or P&GA contact(s), especially State Government relations personnel, to achieve results and ensure appropriate and consistent positions.
• Clearly communicate new and revised environmental and regulatory requirements to the BUs and appropriate personnel. Conduct workshops and training on existing and/or new regulations as needed. If needed, assist BU(s) with compliance support (e.g., prepare compliance support tools, regulatory interpretations, guidance, agency meetings).
• Support compliance assurance systems
• Participate in all Issue Management Team meetings and provide concise updates on top issues. Communicate within the Issue Management Team to share relevant matters and to seek specific expert assistance.
• Become familiar with operating assets, company environmental policy, and standards.
• Understand how company procedures and processes are used to drive environmental protection and regulatory compliance and support the corresponding work processes.
Experience and Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
• Bachelor degree in engineering or related technical or advocacy field.
• A minimum of 5 years’ of relevant experience in an environmental, regulatory or advocacy role.
• A minimum of 5 years’ of relevant experience in the oil and gas industry.
• Ability to integrate technical expertise, industry knowledge, and business experience/judgement to develop, support, improve, or oppose advocacy strategies and initiatives.
- Read, comprehend, summarize, and communicate and take needed action.
- Ability to coordinate with different BU groups to establish a comprehensive analysis of potential impacts from proposed rulemaking.
- Provide business line perspective to advocacy issues.
• Have working knowledge of state and federal rule and policy-making processes.
• Ability to relate issues and environmental/regulatory advocacy directly to business impacts.
• Strong written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively to multiple organizational levels both internally and externally with trade association members and regulatory agencies.
• Ability to lead industry and influence outcomes on important advocacy issues.
• Adaptable to changing priorities and time pressures.
• Sound technical understanding of the life-cycle of a production asset including drilling, completions, operations, facility abandonment.
• Ability to translate complex technical and regulatory issues into easy to understand language for internal audience unfamiliar with regulatory environments and agencies.
• Initiative and self-monitoring.
• Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills and team player, both internally and externally.
• Influencing skills – ability to achieve results without direct authority.
Job Preferences (Plus)
• A minimum of 10+ years’ of relevant experience in an environmental, regulatory or advocacy role.
• A minimum of 10+ years’ of relevant experience in the oil and gas industry.
• On-site environmental, technical, or operating experience at a production or midstream facility.
• Awareness of environmental regulations globally.
• Experience in developing and supporting environmental compliance assurance systems
Alternate Location: United States : Williston, North Dakota
XTO Energy/ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.