Manages and directs overall activities of personnel within the river operations department, including the River Operations Control Center (ROCC) operations and hydrology. Leads staff responsible for managing water supply operations and flood events. Provides oversight and direction of the River Operations Center and related engineering functions. Leads and coordinates flood management activities. Oversees supervisor and staff responsible for installation, maintenance, analysis and ensuring the reliable operation of LCRA’s Hydromet system.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance, determines compensation of subordinate staff in compliance with human resources policies and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Develops and manages department budget. Ensures expenditures are appropriate and within approved budget.
- Provides leadership and direction to all activities of the River Operations Center.
- Directs and provides technical oversight to hydraulic and hydrologic analysis and engineering related to the operation of the river and dams. Approves and monitors quality control standards and ensures compliance with all applicable regulations and engineering practice standards. Develops technical and leadership skills within department.
- Ensures appropriate processes, procedures and records are developed and maintained within the department to ensure the accuracy, reliability, and timeliness of the data, information and products provided; meets requirements of LCRA’s water rights, Water Management Plan, FEMA agreements, USACE rules and other requirements. Ensures appropriate technology for river operations.
- Develops contingency plans, emergency response plans and other related plans for managing drought and flood events. Oversees team in responding to and providing leadership during floods and hurricanes, as related to the Hydromet system.
- Oversees supervisor and staff responsible for the Hydromet system. Oversees supervisor and staff responsible for quality assurance/quality control of field activities such as data collection and equipment maintenance, as well as technical analysis of hydrologic data. Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations.
- Serves on various internal committees and represents LCRA on various external committees and task forces. Builds and maintains effective relationships with internal and external customers including Texas Colorado River Floodplain Coalition and TCEQ
- Develops and delivers various reports and presentations to management, executives, the LCRA Board and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with Information Technology to ensure all Technology needs are met for your business responsibilities
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, engineering technology, engineering physics, biosystems engineering, mathematical science, physical science or related science
- Eight or more years of post-Bachelors experience, including experience in flood control operations for major reservoirs, remote data collection systems and providing leadership for water operations teams.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Texas