Manager (Government Relations)
Provide leadership and strategic vision to achieve legislative objectives that advance EDF’s advocacy goals across program areas. Specific legislative objectives include: lay the groundwork for bipartisan climate legislation; advance clean energy policies; preserve clean air rules; and block congressional efforts to weaken core environmental protections.
- With a focus on Democratic member offices, serve as an EDF lobbyist and build a strong network of relationships directly with members of Congress, high-level staff, key committee staff, and leadership staff.
- Develop and implement strategies and plans tailored for Democrat and Republican members on climate related issues, such as sustainable agriculture, resilience and technology innovation, as well as comprehensive, economy-wide climate policy.
- Organize Hill briefings and events, including identifying and securing opportunities for EDF engagement.
- Coordinate across multiple environmental and energy programs to ensure Hill engagements are well coordinated and to build EDF’s brand and political influence with lawmakers.
- Collaborate effectively with EDF’s legal and regulatory teams and external coalitions to advance pro-environmental policies and block Congressional and executive branch attacks on our nation’s bedrock environmental laws.
- Work closely with strategic partners to help shape our policy-related communications and messaging strategies.
- Partner with external organizations, including other NGOs at the federal and state level and company representatives to advance EDF’s legislative goals.
- 6+ years of Capitol Hill lobbying experience, especially with Democratic members
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters would be a plus
- A proven network of bipartisan congressional contacts
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, both written and oral.
- Knowledge of climate, energy, and environmental policy a plus.
- Familiarity with the NGO community
- Ability to interface with environmental groups to ensure collaboration and coordination when needed
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.