Senior Organizer and Policy Advocate
Food & Water Watch and Food & Water Action vision is to create a healthy future for all people and generations to come—a world where everyone has food they can trust, clean drinking water and a livable climate. Making this happen requires involving people in the pressing issues of our time at the local, state, and federal level, building on one win after another, as we develop a larger movement that has the political power to make our democratic process work. We mobilize people to reclaim their political power, hold our elected officials accountable, and resist corporate control—ensuring we all have the essential resources we need to thrive. This is a fight we must win, because this planet is the only one we get.
The Senior Organizer and Policy Advocate will report to the NJ State Director and will work with other national organizing staff, regional field staff, and policy/research/media staff to support FWW’s work to stop fossil fuel infrastructure expansion projects, protect locally controlled and affordable public water systems, and facilitate a rapid and fair transition off fossil fuels and onto 100% clean renewable energy. The Senior Organizer and Policy Advocate will have four main responsibilities: 1. Organize our 100% renewable energy aggregation campaign in Central New Jersey including management of our contract field staff. 2. Organize our campaigns to stop fossil fuel infrastructure projects and protect locally controlled public water systems in Central New Jersey. 3. Lobby on behalf of Food & Water Watch policy goals at the local, state and federal level. 4. Organize electoral work in support of F&WA endorsed candidates. This position includes supervisory responsibilities of temporary, part-time and intern organizers in New Jersey.
This is a full-time ongoing position starting when filled. The ideal candidate will be able to work from our New Brunswick office; some travel required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build a strong base of organizations and individuals in support of our campaigns, with a particular emphasis on our work to facilitate a rapid and fair transition off fossil fuels and onto 100% clean renewable energy.
- Work with a team to develop strategic campaign plans including long- and short-term goals, strategies and tactics.
- Work closely with team and partner organization to develop and implement joint strategies.
- Participate in coalitions on campaign issues and implement grassroots organizing and public education campaigns.
- Speak at public events, forums, and other venues, and serves as a representative of Food & Water Action/Watch to the public and the media.
- Build the capacity and leadership of volunteers and allied grassroots organizations by offering training and organizing support.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues, research products, and FWW’s suite of digital organizing tools, including the database.
- Respond to information and support requests from activists, coalition members, and media.
- Participate and/or develop non-partisan electoral strategies and tactics for either/both Food and Water Watch (c3) and Food and Water Action (c4).
- Participate in membership recruitment and fundraising for Food & Water Action/Watch.
- Support Our Culture of Philanthropy: Demonstrate an understanding of the essential role of our members and supporters, and consistently serve as an ambassador for FWW/FWA and our work. Participate in or attend events and other activities as appropriate that are organized for our supporters and donors. Be cognizant of fundraising opportunities and share contacts and information that will help build and sustain FWW/FWA.
- Manage temporary and part time staff and interns. This is a supervisory position having the following responsibilities:
- Responsibility for work done by the person/people you supervise.
- Responsibility for developing work plans for person/people you supervise and to use independent judgement in making sure those plans conform with the overall strategy of our campaigns.
- Responsibility for doing reviews of people you supervise and have the power to initiate and provide input into disciplinary action including termination.
- Responsibility for initiating and providing input into hiring processes for open positions you supervise.
- Responsibility to upper management to ensure that your direct reports are fulfilling their job duties.
- Carry out other projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, the person in this position is expected to acquire a complete understanding of FWW’s Strategic Organizing model, FWW’s policy positions and legislative goals, and an ability to balance multiple strategic campaigns and targets simultaneously. The Senior Organizer and Policy Advocate will be expected to work closely with volunteers and allied organizations to ensure campaigns are moving forward to achieve programmatic goals.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's Degree or combination of relevant education and experience. Three or more years of full-time experience organizing at FWW or elsewhere. Experience leading multiple successful organizing campaigns. Clear demonstration of ability to develop effective organizing strategies and guiding others to develop effective organizing strategies.
Computer Skills: An individual should be able to work in a computerized environment and have adequate knowledge of word processing, email, internet and spreadsheet software; in particular have coursework or certification in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point and proficiency with all other Microsoft Office products.