Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. The company has multiple offices in the U.S. and program offices in more than 40 countries.
Abt Associates seeks bright, talented, and intellectually curious students to add to our talent pipeline. As a paid Natural Resources and Environment intern in the Department of Health and Environment, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on industry experience while being exposed to challenging projects and learning from some of the top experts in the field. Interns will be exposed to a depth and breadth of expertise and knowledge through events and programs throughout the summer. Our summer internship program consists of a robust and structured curriculum that encompasses professional development opportunities, networking events, and a mentorship program. This position is located in Durham, NC or Rockville, MD.
The Summer Internship Program at Abt Associates is 10 weeks, beginning June 1 through August 7, 2020. Interns must be able to work full time (40 hours per week) for the duration of the program. Abt Associates does not provide housing.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct quantitative analyses using databases and spreadsheets for projects encompassing one or more of the following topics: general environmental policy and program support, environmental economics and policy analysis, emissions inventory development, decarbonization, co-benefits assessments of air quality and climate change measures, and climate change mitigation
- Support database management
- Assist with documenting analysis methodologies
- Carry out research and literature searches, and summarize documents, reports, and related materials
- Generate tables, charts, and maps to communicate project results, both for clients and for public audiences
- Develop PowerPoints and training materials
- Assist with preparation for meetings, and scheduling and set up
Department / Division Qualifications
- Will have graduated from an undergraduate program by the time the internship starts or is currently enrolled in a graduate level degree program
- Ideal candidates will have academic or work experience in environmental policy, environmental science, environmental economics, air quality, climate change, or other relevant academic discipline.
- Excellent oral and written communication and analytical skills are essential
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary. Experience with Access, ArcGIS, Qlik Sense, and/or R is a plus
Program Minimum Qualifications
- Has completed at least two years of college coursework
- Has excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Is available to work full-time throughout the 10 week internship
- Is eligible to work in the United States
- Transitioning military are encouraged to apply