Nigeria nationals: WaSH Technical Assistant (Hygiene Promotion)
RC is looking for a WaSH Technical Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) for our field office in Yola, Adamawa State in North-East Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Technical Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) is to ensure the Implementation and impact of WaSH program activities in Yola, Adamawa State
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The WaSH Technical Assistant reports to the WaSH Team Lead.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate the Hygiene promotion (HP) and community mobilization (CM) activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets, and plans.
- Assist the WASH Team Leader in all aspects of Hygiene Promotion and Community Mobilization programs planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation
- Assist in the identification of communities/Internally Displaced Persons Hygiene promotion needs and working closely with Community Leaders
- Contribute to the development of tools and materials for Hygiene Promotion and Community Mobilization.
- Participate in assessing Hygiene Promotion and Community Mobilization needs of the communities/IDPs and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts a training session on Hygiene Promotion and Community Mobilization for the local Hygiene Promoters
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH Team Leader and local counterparts on issues Hygiene information and communication strategies
- Working closely with the other WASH Technical Assistant to assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly hygiene promotion reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Ensure that procurement, development, and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Bachelor of science or Higher National Diploma in health or social works related fields or communication
- Minimum 2 years’ experience from working with hygiene promotion/community mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with the distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Must have a good knowledge of hygiene promotion in the emergency/recovery context.
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of water, hygiene, sanitation (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Handling an insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Communicating with impact and respect All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
We can offer
- Commencement: March 2020
- Duration: 9 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Yola, with frequent travels. Travel outside Yola is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.