International Sanitation Specialist
It is scientifically proven that a human being can survive without food for three weeks. However, without water most of the people perish within 3-4 days. Therefore, water is a primary necessity. Water provides nourishment, prevents diseases, is needed for agriculture and food production, and last but not least it is crucial for sanitation purposes.
Despite the importance of safe drinking water and sanitation and notwithstanding the progress made worldwide in providing more people with basic sanitation and access to safe drinking water, there are still a huge number of people lacking access to safe water and sanitation facilities. Providing clean and safe water, for drinking and sanitation, is an important goal to achieve, and a prerequisite to succeed in the implementation of many other dimensions of the sustainable development goals such as health, food security, and poverty reduction.
With this in mind, the Government of Tajikistan puts access to safe drinking water and sanitation at the heart of its national priorities. This intention has been emphasized in such strategic documents as National Development Strategy until 2030, National Water Strategy and National Water Sector Reform Program 2016-2020.
Efforts to ensure that everyone has access to adequate safe water and sanitation are taking place not only at the government level. Numerous international organizations such as SDC, Oxfam, UNICEF and others contribute to a great extend to making this goal feasible and attainable.
The OSCE joined the cohort in 2019 having implemented two small-scale projects focused on drinking water. In 2020, the Office intents on initiating sanitation project as a compliment to its drinking water projects.
For this reason, the OSCE will explore the possibility of introducing improved sanitation solutions in rural areas. In this respect, the OSCE hires an International Sanitation Specialist to conduct a rapid sanitation assessment in selected rural areas of Tajikistan.
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment:
For rural, dense settlements, there is a need for implementing and improving sanitation systems across the sanitation value chain. This would help improve health and environment while making the everyday life of people easier.
The Specialist will have strong experience in developing local dry sanitation solutions for decentralized systems.
The outcomes of the study will be used for further drafting of the project proposal.
The deliverables of the consultancy will be to complete a final report on the review, findings and recommendations which will include but not limited to:
- Lessons learnt from Desk Study and Situation assessment;
- Recommendations for improving the sanitation situation in identified locations.
The Specialist should submit the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe with the draft report not later than 25 April 2020. The format of the report will be discussed with the OSCE prior to the commencement of the works.
The report should be compiled in English and submitted to the Project Manager. The final report should be submitted within 10 days after receiving comments from the Project manager.
Duration of the consultancy:
15 March - 15 May 2020.
The consultancy is anticipated for 20 days, with the following allocation:
- 5 days for desk study;
- 12 days field assessment – including travel;
- 3 days final report writing.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Scope of work will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Conduct a Desk Study to understand the current sanitation situation in project region of Tajikistan from a technical, social, institutional, legal and capacity perspective and develop a methodology for conducting a field trip for primary data collection and assessment for possible sanitation options;
- Conduct meetings and discussions with key national and local stakeholders to understand the requirements;
- Conduct field visits to two towns/villages in the lower Zerafshan to conduct situation assessment, analyze and propose appropriate improved sanitation solutions;
- Prepare a report with appropriate recommendations based on the situation assessment.
- At least five years of professional experience in conducting similar reviews;
- Experience in working and meeting with various stakeholders;
- A minimum of fifteen-year experience working in the sanitation sector is required;
- A good understanding of engineering design, social and planning practices is also required;
- Ability of analytical and report drafting work;
- Excellent oral and written knowledge of English.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
The consultant will be remunerated commensurate with consultant’s experience and qualifications in accordance with OSCE established rates. Applicants should indicate whether they wish to be included in the OSCE Roster of Consultants for similar assignments.
How To Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/. In case of technical difficulties with online application, please use the OSCE offline application form that can be downloaded at https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form. The completed application form along cover letter and recommendation letters should be submitted by e-mail to POiD-Recruitment@osce.org quoting the job title in the subject line. Applicants who do not submit a completed OSCE's format application form will not be considered.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.