Associate Environment Officer
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
To provide technical, analytical and coordination support in ensuring compliance of projects with ADB's safeguards policies on environment. Assist in policy compliance monitoring and reporting; and identification/preparation of knowledge products, services and partnerships in environment safeguards. The incumbent with report to designated International and senior National Staff
- Reviews project-related safeguards documents including Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Management Plan (EMP) Environmental Assessment and Review Framework (EARF), Environment and Social Management System (ESMS), Program Safeguards System Assessment (PSSA), Environmental Due Diligence (EDD) reports and other related project documents with reference to environmental safeguards (Project Concept Papers, Report and Recommendation to the President and linked documents, Project Completion Reports, among others).
- Coordinates with SARD HQ safeguards staff and Resident Mission-based safeguards specialists and officers in ensuring quality control of project documents and environmental safeguards implementation including environmental monitoring and disclosure.
- Assists in tracking project compliance including tracking of monitoring reports.
- During project processing and project implementation, assists in compiling relevant project data, visits the project site, verifies the accuracy of the environmental assessments, discusses and agrees on implementation arrangements with government counterparts, consultants and affected groups, and provides analytical inputs in the preparation of the mission Aide Memoire and back-to-office report (BTOR) as required.
- Supports the review and update of policies related to environment safeguards, and related operations manuals.
- Reviews relevant ADB policies, operations manual, staff instructions, guidelines, handbooks and suggests measures to ensure consistency with SPS policy requirements.
- Supports the preparation of briefing papers, special reports and studies on safeguard policy and guidelines.
- Assists in the development of knowledge products and services, including the formulation of policies, guidelines and preparation of handbooks, best practice manuals, etc., by reviewing project design and implementation experiences, liaising with project practitioners and social science experts, and monitoring the applicability of current methods.
- Assists in the preparation of training modules and conduct of training programs on environment safeguards.
- Supports the maintenance of division databases and tracking systems on environment safeguards, and guide/update division staff in database maintenance.
- Supports the administration of technical assistance projects related to safeguards by monitoring progress of TA implementation, contracting consultants, supporting the organization and implementation of conferences and workshops by formulating budget, activity plans and work programs, among other tasks.
- Assists in engagement of safeguards consultants required to support SARD in project preparation and implementation in accordance with ADB's environment requirements including drafting TORs. Supervises selected consultant's work and ensure required outputs are delivered in a timely manner. Manages the consultant's contracts including issuance of variation, approving claims, etc.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent's workplan
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in the field of environmental planning and management or environmental engineering, environmental science, environmental economics, or related field; preferably with advanced training.
- At least 6 years work experience in environment or related field.
- Familiar with ADB's Environment Policy and developing member countries' environmental legislation and regulations.
- Proficient in the field of climate change, environmental planning and management, including environmental assessment, pollution prevention strategies, and other related tools/strategies.
- Aptitude to perform analytical and conceptual thinking.
- Proficiency in ADB-adopted computer applications.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
- Superior client orientation, interpersonal and diplomatic skills and teamwork and ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Please refer to the link for the ADB Competency Framework for NS1.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.