Philippines nationals: Natural Resource Management Specialist
For more than four decades, FAO has been working with the Government of the Philippines, civil society, community-based organizations and the private sector to address challenges in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector. Joint efforts have included increasing sustainability in agricultural production, promoting value-adding practices, improving post-harvest management, enhancing productivity and increasing the resilience of agriculture-based livelihoods to natural disasters, climatic hazards and armed conflict.
The Natural Resource Management Specialist will be under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative,ad interim in the Philippines, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative for Programme, and day to day guidance of the Climate and Disaster Resilience and Environment and Natural Resources (CDRENR) Team Leader.
The assignment will focus significantly on the identification of needs and strategic priorities as well as in defining scope of needed assistance that would contribute in the biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of natural resources along Bataan to Manila bay. The consultant will work closely with FAO, Department of Environment and Natural Resources Biodiversity Management Bureau (DENR-BMB), and other stakeholders to ensure that proposal is developed in line with national priorities and Global Economic Facility (GEF) approved programming directions.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Natural Resource Management Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
- Lead in the writing of the Project Identification Form, following the GEF prescribed format, and in line with the national priorities and GEF programming directions;
- Facilitate the conduct of research, data gathering, and analysis of information that will serve as reference information for the preparation of the proposal on the sustainable management of resources along Bataan to Manila Bay;
- Identify gaps and needs on biodiversity conservation and sustainable land management in Bataan in terms of capacities, policy interventions, and conservation effectiveness. This will include the identification of environmental problems, root causes, and barriers that need to be addressed; proposed alternative scenario with a description of outcomes and components of the project; alignment with GEF focal area; potential for scaling up; and its consistency with national priorities;
- Lead in the conduct of meetings, workshops, and consultations with BMB, DENR, the Bureau of Soils and Water Management (BSWM), local government of Bataan, and other relevant partners and stakeholders;
- Present the proposal during consultation meetings and revise according to recommendations; and
- Carry out other relevant duties within his/her technical competence as may be requested by FAO.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University Degree in environmental science, environmental or natural resource management, sustainable development, or related disciplines;
- At least twelve (12) years of professional experience in multifocal environmental project design for international cooperation funding. Working with GEF projects also an advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Tagalog.
- National of the Philippines
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven competencies and demonstrated work experience in project formulation including policy, institutional and community based policies and mechanisms in natural resource management. Experience working with GEF projects is an advantage
- Strong skills in organizing and leading consultative processes involving various stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as well as analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports in English.