WASH Information Management Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direction of the WASH Manager, in close coordination with other members and technical specialist of the WASH Team and other sections as appropriate, responsible for / support the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of UNICEF’s emergency response in activities and results related to safeguard and improve public health of the affected population by ensuring access to safe drinking water, excreta disposal and promoting safe hygiene practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services; ensuring overall efficiency, effectiveness and delivery of results in accordance with UNICEF’s Core Commitment for Children in Emergencies (CCCs) and national and international humanitarian standards. The post will be based in Cox’s bazar
- Maintain updated contact information of UNICEF WASH partners and stakeholders as well as relevant partners from other sectors/coordination platforms.
- Maintain a document repository of related information, standards, documents, etc., including other key datasets from other sectors for internal team use.
- Support UNICEF WASH partners and stakeholders to allow consistency and comparability on their needs assessments and analysis through the development and/or adaptation of existing IM tools; this includes Sectoral, inter-sectoral and national systems/ tools. Liaise and provide technical support to the relevant stakeholders to ensure appropriate design, process and use of these tools, as well as the reporting of data.
- Support the assessment capacities among UNICEF WASH partners and stakeholders by identifying needs and developing capacity building plans to overcome the existing gaps.
- Ensure data from UNICEF WASH partners and stakeholders is periodically and consistently collected and stored in a way that allows comparability and compatibility, and is available for regular and ad hoc analyses to support decision making as appropriate.
- Support the UNICEF WASH team in key strategic planning processes and response plan revision phases (mid-term reviews) through the appropriate selection/revision of SMART indicators as well as through the refinement of the WASH Sector response monitoring framework.
- Compile and keep up-to-date information on UNICEF WASH implementing partners their capacities and interventions as well as support the identification of needs and gaps through the evaluation and analysis across multiple datasets.
- Ensure the timely and regular dissemination of information, through products and communication channels tailored to the needs and usage of different audiences: including operational UNICEF WASH partners and stakeholders; other sectors; donors and civil society.
- Anticipate information needs and suggest appropriate tools or products to meet the needs of the WASH Team and operational WASH partners and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to build capacities among governmental, other national or local partners and stakeholders as per issues related to information management and assessments.
- Contribute to and support UNICEF in ensuring the necessary links are made with existing information systems in the WASH sector, allowing compatibility with and input to WASH sector information management tools as appropriate.
- Contribute to and support other UNICEF sections, other sectors to ensure complementarity and cross-sectoral analysis of information, such as the provision of WASH services in institutions (schools, health centres, etc.)
- Provide programme data input to donor reports, updates, programme reports, briefing notes etc and contribute to WASH reporting in accordance with UNICEF’s CCC based Humanitarian Performance Monitoring criteria.
- Within UNICEF, collaborate with:
- Programmes and Emergency Sections to ensure integration of UNICEF’s response to the emergency, exploring opportunities for WASH to support and enhance the programmatic response in other sectors, including the provision of WASH services in schools and other child friendly spaces and institutions.
- Operations and Supply Sections, as well as with government authorities and other implementing partners, to establish and maintain sound internal controls, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and ensure accountability.
- Communications and Programme Communication sections to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies for advocacy, social mobilisation and emergency programme implementation for the WASH programme response.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree or equivalent experience in data science, or geographic sciences/engineering including information technology and statistics.
Required experience: 36 Months
A minimum of 3 years of experience with either the UN and/or NGO. Experience in humanitarian WASH is an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing, Database design, administration and maintenance, Emergency response, immediate relief operations, and post-conflict humanitarian aid operations
Area of expertise details:
a) Experience in conceiving and developing information systems and tools to respond to a variety of requirements.
b) Experience with Open Data Kit and mobile data collection an asset.
c) Good written and spoken skills in the language of the humanitarian operation and knowledge of another UN language an asset.
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 09 February 2020