- Protecting Washington State’s environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. If you want to join a team that is highly effective, collaborative, and has leadership that embraces the value of people, Ecology is a good fit.
The Water Resources (WR) program is currently looking to fill a Senior Water Resources Compliance Specialist (Environmental Specialist 4) position. This position will be located in our Northwest Regional Office (NWRO) in Bellevue, WA.
The Senior Water Resources Compliance Specialist position works with a team overseeing enforcement and compliance work in assigned watersheds of the Puget Sound. The position provides technical assistance, seeks voluntary compliance, and pursues formal enforcement actions to manage water resources and ensure compliance with state water law in the watersheds discharging into Puget Sound. The position is a senior environmental section specialist in this field (for the assigned watersheds) and addresses water use violations through education, technical assistance and/or informal or formal enforcement, as appropriate. The position responds to complaints of illegal use, impairment of senior rights, and other complex water-resources compliance issues with conflicting interests among the parties and broad public impacts. The position works with the regional enforcement lead and regional section manager to develop and implement the region’s water resource management strategies and priorities for assigned Puget Sound watersheds.
We are looking for energetic leaders who want to join a new team dedicated to protecting and enhancing Washington’s water resources.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecology.wa.gov and check us out on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
- Agency Mission: Ecology’s mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment and to promote the wise management of our air, land and water for the benefit of current and future generations.
Program Mission: The mission of the Water Resources Program is to manage water resources to meet the needs of people and the natural environment, in partnership with Washington’s communities.
Some of the key work activities of the Senior Water Resources Compliance Specialist position include:
- Independently responds to and investigates alleged violations of water law and negotiates and resolves water resource conflicts.
- Provides technical assistance and education to the public on water rights and Washington State water law.
- Drafts formal and information compliance actions, including administrative orders and notices of penalty.
- Represents the agency as a senior environmental section specialist in enforcement actions, hearings, and legal proceedings regarding assigned watersheds. Provides testimony in cases involving the approval, denial, or conditioning of permits, or the imposition of civil penalties.
Additional information about the position and team:
- This position works as part of a regional team focused on Puget Sound water resources compliance and enforcement. This position will provide technical assistance, seek voluntary compliance, pursue formal enforcement actions, and administer and ensure compliance with state water law in key Puget Sound watersheds.
- This position is part of a new team developed to ensure compliance with Washington water law to support the recovery of Puget Sound’s Southern Resident Killer Whale population.
The salary posted above does not include the additional 5% premium pay that this position will receive due to this position’s location in King County.
This position will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be February 11, 2020. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before February 10, 2020. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
Please to do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
- <!– wp:paragraph –>
Required Qualifications:<!– /wp:paragraph –>
A Bachelor’s degree involving major study in environmental, physical, or one of the natural sciences, environmental planning or other allied field AND five (5) years of professional-level experience in environmental analysis or control, or environmental planning which includes one (1) year equal to an Environmental Specialist 3 or above or two (2) years equal to an Environmental Specialist 2 or above.
A Master’s degree in one of the above fields AND three (3) years of professional – level experience as required above which includes one (1) year equal to an Environmental Specialist 3 or above or two (2) years equal to an Environmental Specialist 2 or above.
A Ph.D. in one of the above fields AND two (2) years of professional-level experience as required above which includes one (1) year equal to an Environmental Specialist 3 or above or two (2) years equal to an Environmental Specialist 2 or above.
Two (2) years of experience as an Environmental Specialist 3 at the Department of Ecology.
**Additional qualifying experience will substitute, year for year, for education.
The experience as an Environmental Specialist 2 can include assisting in any of the following areas: 1) performing field surveys or studies, 2) responding to complaints involving scientific or technical content, 3) preparing public meetings and hearings, 4) assistance with routine inspections or investigations requiring specialized knowledge of industry processes, pollutant sources or natural processes, 5) responding to routine inquires or requests for technical assistance involving scientific content, 6) special projects that are scientific in nature, 7) conducting routine sampling and testing analyses, interprets data, writing reports 8) performing basic sampling data review, 9) maintaining an environmental data base to support technical projects, 10) providing routine environmental technical and administrative assistance to grant/ contract/ loan recipients of environmental protection projects.
The experience as an Environmental Specialist 3 can include any of the following: 1) investigating and / or resolving complaints involving science or technology content, 2) performing inspections, 3) drafting technical evaluations and reports, 4) develops plans for researching information used for technical projects, regulatory or policy development, 5) plan and facilitate public meetings and hearings, 6) project work requiring specialized knowledge of industry processes, pollutant sources or natural processes, 7) providing technical assistance for complex scientific content and/ or support for implementing scientific content programs, 8) conducting tests, analyzing and evaluating data, 9) using environmental databases to support technical projects, 10) developing scientific studies and resource management plans, 11) providing environmental technical and administrative assistance to grant/ contract/ loan recipients of environmental protection projects.
- Experience investigating complaints against the law and pursuing escalating levels of enforcement – Ability to work independently to investigate and achieve compliance with the Washington State Water Code
- Advanced understanding of Washington State water law and policies – ability to interpret and implement Washington State water law and policies in the context of ensuring compliance and processing water right applications.
- Advanced understanding and experience working with Geographic Information Systems.
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Senior Water Resources Compliance Specialist (Environmental Specialist 4)
Washington Department of Ecology
Bellevue, WA, US