Freelance Technical Editor – Freshwater Science
Freshwater Science seeks two part-time technical editors (TE). Freshwater Science is published by the University of Chicago Press on behalf of the Society for Freshwater Science. It publishes approximately 100+ technical papers a year on topics including ecology, conservation biology, ecological assessment, hydrology and geomorphology, and taxonomy/systematics.
The TE will work with authors and the Editor to improve the readability and flow of manuscripts by checking for, and correcting where needed, issues of clarity including manuscript organization, logical flow, style, grammar, and word use. The TE will also verify that text, tables, figures, and literature cited are consistent with journal style.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a writing-intensive field or the environmental sciences
- Sound understanding of scientific research
- Five or more years of science content editing experience and commitment to editing as a career
- Expert command of the English language and modern scientific writing style
- Outstanding editing skills and ability to produce concise, direct, and clear writing
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Advanced knowledge of editing features in MS Word
- Graduate degree in an environmental science or science writing field
- Understanding of statistical analyses used in the environmental sciences
- Experience working with authors for whom English is a second language
The TE will edit 1-3 manuscripts a week on average (~20 hours a week).
Compensation and Payment
The hourly rate is negotiable and will depend on depth and breadth of qualifications and prior experience. The TE will submit monthly invoices to the University of Chicago Press for payment.
To apply, send a cover letter describing your interest in the position, your qualifications, your resume or CV, contact information for three professional references, and examples of previous editorial work to Dr. Charles Hawkins, Editor, Freshwater Science at [email protected]. Please identify your desired hourly rate in your cover letter. Send all application documents as pdf files. Contact the Editor for instructions for transferring application files that, in combination, exceed 20 megabytes in size. Review of applications will start 20 January 2020. The position will be open until filled.