The responsibility of the Flying WHS Expert is to provide technical and strategic support for implementation of WHS activities with the objective of optimizing the methodologies and technical solution related to water (pumping, storage, treatment, distribution…), hygiene (in health structures and in camps) and sanitation (wastewater, excreta control, waste, vector control…) implemented by the logistics in MSF programs.
This position is based in the Field, travelling from mission to mission
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent medical humanitarian action-driven organisation, providing aid to populations in need, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to the people affected by armed conflicts, without discrimination and regardless of their race, religion, belief or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities are part of the logistic department. Because of the multiplication of the water, hygiene and sanitation complex activities requiring presence of specialists, the Geneva Logistic Department has requested for the position of 2 Flying WHS Experts to assist WHS Referent with a physical presence in the field.
Main Responsibilities and tasks
Direct technical support to field operations (regular mission and emergencies)
The Flying WHS Expert, on demand of the operation will intervene in the mission to:
- Promote and implement water & sanitation activities of the mission (implement or facilitate)
- Participate in:
- Exploratory missions
- Program support visits
- Assume the post of WHS Coordinator, where appropriate, in emergencies.
Audit and recommendation to missions
- Evaluates :
- WHS activities needs
- Pertinence of specific WHS activities within projects,
- WHS activities proposed.
- Provides recommendation to improve quality of WHS activities
- Follow-up and monitoring of WHS emergency activities.
Contribution to missions operational strategies
- Shares information with medical and logistic coordinators to identify potential WHS related activities to develop
- Participates in the development of appropriate project strategies based on analysis of the situation
- Advises on Eprep capacity when appropriate
Training and coaching
- Provides support for the choice and development of WHS or logistic personnel in accordance with his expertise.
- Provides coaching to WHS and logistic teams both local staff and expatriate
- Participates in the review, design and presenting of MSF training modules
Validation of products and local suppliers
In every mission dedicates time to support Supply teams to:
- validate technically sensitive product (insecticides, pumps…)
- validate local suplliers.
- Clean up stock and Eprep stocks
When the Flying WHS is not on mission and after enjoying R&R / holidays, they will support the WHS Unit in its usual activities. They can be asked to do the temporarily backup of the WHS referent.
Education and experience
- The candidate should be a trained specialist or engineer in the water, hygiene and sanitation sector.
- They shall have expertise in some and interest in all the following topics:
- Water quality and quantity
- Quality control and procurement of specific technical materials
- Vector control
- Medical waste disposal
- Organise Committee of nosocomial infection control (CLIN)
- Hygiene promotion in institutions and communities.
- MSF experience in emergency situations is essential, particularly in WHS context.
- Experience in community water supply and hygiene promotion is an advantage.
- English and French fluent. Knowledge of other languages an asset.
- Result and quality driven
- High communication skills and capacity to interrelate with people.
- Teaching skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
Terms of employment
- Field-based position (various missions up to 100% of the time) with visits to HQ in Geneva.
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF OCG volunteer handbook.
- Fixed-term contract : 12 months, renewable
- Part-time contract : occupancy 50%-80%
- Ideal Starting date: March 2020
- Gross monthly salary: CHF 5’500.- for 100% position (actual salary proportional to occupancy rate)
- Social Benefits: Health insurance and living costs in the countries of intervention and at HQ, paid according to internal regulations.
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in English or in French.
The deadline for applications is 15th February 2020.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.