The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was founded to bring countries together to address Asia’s daunting infrastructure funding gap. Our mission is to improve economic and social development in Asia and beyond through a focus on sustainable infrastructure, cross-border connectivity and private capital mobilization. AIIB has committed capital from 102 members of USD100 billion of which USD20 billion is paid in. AIIB is a triple A rated institution.
The AIIB’s Investment Operations are divided into two regional teams, 1 and 2. Each regional team is led by a Vice President (VP). Region 1 is responsible for South East Asia and South Asia (except Pakistan and Afghanistan), while Region 2 covers Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia, East Asia, West Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America. The Region 2 Technical Department is scaling up its support for water sector programs in client countries in Region 2 and is looking to recruit experienced and talented water specialists with strong skills in the water sector, i.e., water sewerage and sanitation (WSS) and water resource management (WRM), and wastewater management.
The Investment Operation Specialist – Water will be responsible for contributing towards AIIB’s overall lending program by supporting the planning, design, preparation and implementation of projects/programs that will help meet the rapid growth demands of the sector. The candidate will be responsible for the designing, preparing, appraising and implementing water resources, irrigation and drainage, water supply and sanitation, and water resources management projects. He/She will play a key role in the operational work of AIIB in the water sector either as a team leader or a member of the team preparing and implementing AIIB water projects.
The candidate will also be responsible for understanding and responding to the water sector challenges facing Asia which include the need for more effective management of water resources; efficient water uses to meet the demands in the water and sanitation and irrigation sectors; effective sewerage and sanitation management for pollution control and water quality management, both in urban and rural environments.
- Provide technical inputs into the design of the projects, leading to technical quality assurance of the projects throughout the project preparation process up to Board approval.
- Participate in overseeing the implementation of water operations with the objective of enhancing quality and accelerating project implementation, with a focus on delivering results
- Lead or participate in dialogue with clients and other stakeholders on strategic water issues and implementation of AIIB’s water program
- Advise clients on the preparation of technical and feasibility studies, technical design of projects, leading to investment prioritization and cost-effective solutions to water sector investments
- Maintain sufficient technical and operational knowledge of individual water sector operations and activities (including those not managed by him/her) to help identify and resolve project specific or systemic preparation or implementation issues
- Conduct project risk assessment of the projects and programs and advise project teams on mitigation strategies to manage such risks
- Carry out due diligence and institutional assessments on executing agencies, including implementation capacity assessments of project counterparts
- A Master’s degree in a technical field relevant to water, either water supply and sanitation; water resources management; wastewater management; irrigation, flood management and drainage, or other related fields. Relevant work experience in Region 2 countries would be an asset.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of relevant work experience in the water sector (minimum 8-10 years for Senior Specialist). The candidate’s track record and experience could combine engineering technical expertise as well as institutional and economic water issues.
- Strong international project experience in engineering design and analysis of water projects including in a consultancy role. Experience in water management issues in developing countries in general desirable.
- Proven experience in coordinating and/or managing large or multidisciplinary water programs would be an added advantage.
- Experience working on or leading teams and or demonstrated potential qualities for leadership.
- Ability to forge partnerships with clients, co-financiers, and other stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, in particular, ability to effectively dialogue with and relate to clients and stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and project management skills to perform day-to-day management of a large and complex project portfolio.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the employee level at which an applicant will enter AIIB.