1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
“Promoting ADB’s urban operations in Central and West Asia through data-driven analytics.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Development is strengthened through knowledge, and data amplifies the power of development assistance as the building block of knowledge. Data-driven analytics and evidence-based decision making will help pave the way for strategic dialogue, better policy formulation and informed project identification and preparation that will lead to impactful and sustainable development. Under Strategy 2030, ADB is set to strengthen its role as a knowledge solutions partner and will bring more value to its developing member countries (DMCs) by combining finance with knowledge. A platform that provides DMCs and staff access to key urban data and indicators will build the knowledge base for urban operations and catalyze innovation. Operationalizing knowledge is the key to innovation and a conduit to create partnerships for twinning, peer-to-peer learning, and effective donor coordination.
The intern will conduct research on datasets and indicators relevant to urban development and utilities service delivery (e.g. urban population, water supply coverage and continuity, water quality, NRW, sewage and sanitation, air quality, housing, land value, vehicle ownership, public transport ridership, etc.), identify various databases, and assess their availability (e.g. licensing and source). Existing data gaps will be assessed based on the CWUW database template and recommendations provided for bridging the gaps. The intern will research and compile the key urban indicators for Armenia, Georgia, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan, and explore non-traditional data sources like IOT that are applicable to CWUW urban operations. The intern will also provide input to the design and development of the database as needed.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 8-12 weeks
- Timing: June 2020
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Complete the list of key urban indicators for Armenia, Georgia, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan;
- Develop data gathering strategies;
- Provide assessment of the potential of utilizing big data applicable to ADB’s urban operations.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Urban Planning, Economic or Human Geography, Transport Planning, Economics, Statistics, Data Science, or related field.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Experienced with data analytics, data sourcing in the urban sector, database structure and data visualization.
- Proficient in Excel, Stata, R, Python, SQL, GIS and MS Access, with some knowledge of cloud computing.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
- Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
- Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
- Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).