1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
In Bangladesh, Water.org works with Microfinance Institutions (MFIs) as partners, helping them to develop Water and Sanitation lending portfolios through which borrowers can create water and sanitation assets such as tube wells, latrines, etc. Water.org is designing partnerships with commercial banks and other financial institutions to deepen the market of water and sanitation financing.
The Program Officer is primarily responsible for monitoring and supporting Water.org partner organizations in the implementation of programs with Microfinance Institutions and Banks through the completion of the associated grant (approximately 1+ years’). S/he acts as a subject matter resource to partners in topics such as program design and implementation, WaterCredit, microfinance, and WASH. The Program Officer is responsible for assisting with identifying new partners, onboarding new partners, assisting partners with the design and startup of new programs, supporting the ongoing implementation of partner programs, troubleshooting, and program monitoring. Additionally, s/he may be responsible for assisting with the development and establishment of new programmatic and operational procedures, systems and guidelines.
This position reports to the Senior Programs Manager and works closely with the local and U.S.-based Water.org departments.
The Program Officer is based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Program Management (70%)
- Manage ongoing WaterCredit programs in partnership with Bangladesh and U.S.-based staff, including program and financial management, partner development, and program monitoring and evaluation.
- Assist partner organizations to identify potential sources of capital for their WaterCredit programs.
- Maintain relationships with partners and establish regular communication regarding program implementation activities.
- Provide support to partner organizations by sharing best practices and assisting with problem solving when issues arise.
- Collaborate with partners to identify sources of loan capital, ensuring the ongoing viability of their WaterCredit portfolios.
- Establish routine schedules for monitoring partner programs in accordance with Water.org guidelines and conducting monitoring visits and reports according to schedule.
- Responsible for maintaining regular contact with Water.org US Program Managers to submit partner reports, inform about partner progress and report any issues impacting achievement of program deliverables.
Data Management (15%)
- Manage partner data and information to track program performance, enhance WaterCredit activities, and support the mission of Water.org.
- Lead collection and verification of data and all-encompassing activities.
- Collaborate closely with partner organizations ensuring reporting accuracy, compliance, and timeliness.
- Subject matter expert and training liaison on the use of the WaterPortal. Upload partner data or review and approve data uploaded by partners into the WaterPortal.
- Verification data accuracy during program monitoring visits.
Program Design and Development (7%)
- Collaborate with partner organizations in the design of WaterCredit programs, including planning and budgeting, product development, marketing, internal monitoring, and coordination with WASH stakeholders.
- Work with partners to determine appropriate program targets and deliverables, which are ambitious but achievable within the program period.
- Assist partners in the design of their program work plan and budget, ensuring they are allocating adequate resources and personnel for successful completion of deliverables.
- Assist partners in designing appropriate internal monitoring and evaluation protocols for the successful outcomes of their program.
Organizational Support (6%)
- Participate in assisting with the development of new tools and processes, membership on cross-functional committees as requested, and/or participation at internal or external conferences or workshops.
- Participate in cross-functional committees and working groups to support the achievement of group goals.
- Assist in the development of new tools, processes and/or procedures to gain efficiencies in the execution of work.
- Serve as a knowledge base for Water.org and represent Water.org at events and in written publications to advance the organizational mission and vision.
New Business Development (2%)
- Conduct outreach among financial institutions, non-governmental organizations, product manufacturers, utilities and other related organizations regarding the potential for adoption of WaterCredit.
- Participate in certification of new partner organizations for the implementation of WaterCredit programs.
- Landscape and assist with identification of additional stakeholders for potential collaboration.
- Participate in the certification of new partners.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Communicates Effectively – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Follows through on commitments; is seen as direct and truthful; keeps confidences; practices what s/he preaches; shows consistency between words and actions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Social Science; Master’s degree preferred
- Fluency in Bangla and English required
- At least five years of relevant experience with microfinance institutions, in the Water, Sanitation and Health (WASH) sector, in the international development sector, and/or other related organizations and sectors.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe software) required. Proficiency in Office 365 products (e.g. SharePoint, Teams, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in facilitation and capacity building skills to ensure collaboration and linkages between Water.org, partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- Experience reporting to and working with institutional donors in the international development arena, particularly with respect to WASH and microfinance.
- Strong project management experience
- Innovative mindset oriented toward constructive problem-solving, proactive strategic development and thought leadership
- Strong desire to contribute to increased access to water and sanitation
- Must have Bangladesh citizenship or work permit.
- Up to 25% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.