Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Water Program seeks to protect freshwater resources by changing the way the world’s largest economic actors value and manage water. Ceres accelerates private sector leadership on water protection through cutting-edge research, investor mobilization, corporate engagement and advocacy.
We are hiring a Senior Manager to lead Ceres’ efforts to influence the largest food sector companies to mitigate the water impacts and increase the resiliency of their agricultural supply chains. In this role, the Senior Manager will lead a team working with investors and food companies to advance the adoption of agricultural practices that protect freshwater. This is a full-time position, based in Boston, MA, or San Francisco, CA, that will report to the Water Program Director and partners with a number of program teams at Ceres.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Overall responsibility for success of this initiative, including strategy development, execution and fundraising.
- Develop and oversee strategies for mobilizing investors to engage companies in high water impact sectors, with an initial focus on the food and agriculture sector.
- Engage directly with food sector companies, including Ceres Company Network members, on opportunities for improving their management of water risk.
- Manage the production, release and distribution of research reports and related blog posts and articles.
- Supervise and mentor staff that contribute to this initiative, including current full-time staff and relevant consultants and interns.
- Serve as an internal resource and external spokesperson for Ceres’ water and agriculture related work, representing Ceres as a speaker at conferences and events, on webinars and dialogue meetings with companies, investors and stakeholders.
- Work in partnership with the Water Program Director and the Development team to draft and edit fundraising proposals and reports and to manage relationships with current and prospective funders.
- Manage the budget for this initiative and oversee all expenditures.
- Work across Ceres teams, with a particular focus on the Food & Forests, Investor Network, and Company Network programs, as well as non-programmatic teams.
- Manage planning related to this initiative for the Ceres annual conference program and other events to educate stakeholders on water.
- Support the implementation and development of program management systems including developing goals, tracking KPIs and evaluating the results and progress of the program.
- Assure that programmatic strategies maximize the impacts of our work through a lens of social and racial equity.
- Minimum of seven years of work experience.
- Substantial experience working with or within private sector institutions on environmental sustainability/sustainable agriculture.
- Substantial expertise on environmental sustainability issues, with a preference for expertise in freshwater sustainability, soil health and sustainable agriculture.
- An understanding of the following entities; corporations, large-scale agricultural operations, investment firms, financial institutions, or institutional investors.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Experience managing within budgets and making trade-off decisions.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Experience cultivating effective supervisory relationships (across gender identify, race ethnicity, and socio-economic background) with direct reports.
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.