We are seeking a talented and motivated numerical groundwater scientist at the junior to intermediate professional level, for a permanent position. The appointment will be based at either Wairakei Research Centre, Taupo or Avalon, Lower Hutt. The scientist will contribute to the core framework of our groundwater research and consultancy in New Zealand. This work will include research across some of the many topic areas directly related to hydrogeological investigations at the local, catchment, regional, and national scales, with the specific topics dependent on the skills of the successful candidate
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A qualification of a PhD in groundwater modelling or a closely related engineering or scientific field.
- A strong foundation in maths and statistics
- Ability to develop groundwater flow models (including integrated surface water and groundwater models) and coupled nutrient transport models
- Ability to develop code for linking models and pre-processing input datasets and post-processing model outputs, build mathematical models, undertake model parameter and predictive uncertainty analysis, and use the parameter estimation software PEST.
- GIS skills would also be an advantage.
- Experience working in a team-based research environment
- Strong English communication and writing skills
- Ability to develop and strengthen our national collaboration
Please refer to the position description for a more detailed description of the role and a list of essential skills.