About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Coordinator.
The conflict in Nigeria’s northeast, provoked by Boko Haram, has resulted in a growing humanitarian crisis with an estimated 7 million people in need of emergency assistance and at least 1.8 million Internally Displaced Persons. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food security. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 20 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
The WASH Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to manage and support all WASH activities for three sites of the new liberated government areas (LGAs) – Dikwa, Bama and Gwoza – with potential for additional sites. Under the supervision of the Response Team Coordinator, the WASH Coordinator will manage all activities related to WASH in compliance with sector coordination group and SPHERE standards.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provides technical support and manages WASH activities for three project sites.
- Provides technical guidance in the development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and interventions for the project.
- Provides technical guidance and capacity strengthening for field project site WASH officers and Environmental Health Officers.
- Monitors and maintains protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials and reports.
- Conducts analysis of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
- Prepares reports and papers summarizing project results.
- Provides leadership and team building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors and prepare reports.
- Ability to problem solve and implements corrective action as needed.
- Ability to respond to dynamic, evolving situations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent – Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Typically requires 5-8 years of project management and technical assistance experience.
- Experience implementing WASH programming in humanitarian/crisis response projects required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.