About the US Water Alliance
Founded in 2008, the US Water Alliance advances policies and programs that build a sustainable water future for all. We are driving a One Water movement—an approach to water stewardship that is innovative, inclusive, and integrated. As a national nonprofit organization, we:
- Educate. We build a diverse base of One Water Champions through mutual discovery, education, and engagement with all who have a stake in our water future. For example, The US Water Alliance coordinates the Value of Water Campaign which builds public and political will for investment in sustainable water infrastructure and water resources.
- Accelerate. We cultivate innovation and accelerate the adoption of One Water to advance a better quality of life for all. We convene diverse interests to identify and advance practical, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. We do this through national dialogues, knowledge building and peer exchange, the development of forward-looking and inclusive water policies and programs, public education, and coalition building.
- Celebrate. We celebrate what works to spread and drive innovation in water. We shine a light on those who engage in groundbreaking work through storytelling, cataloging and disseminating best practices, and spearheading special recognition programs such as the US Water Prize that focus attention on how One Water leaders are building stronger communities and a stronger America.
The US Water Alliance is a national nonprofit organization with offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. For more information, please visit our website at: www.uswateralliance.org
The US Water Alliance is seeking a talented and driven Communications Manager to advance our mission of a sustainable water future for all. The successful candidate will have excellent communications and project management skills and a solutions-oriented approach. The successful candidate views communications as a critical component to move and influence decision makers and make positive change in the world.
Reporting to the Vice President for Programs, the Communications Manager will work closely with internal staff, and a team of external consultants on our communications strategy, media relations, graphic design, and websites. The Communications Manager will also collaborate with a range of external stakeholders including US Water Alliance members, allied partners, and the media.
This is a newly created role at the US Water Alliance, offering the opportunity for a talented and entrepreneurial professional to build out the communications function at a growing nonprofit organization at the forefront of innovation on pressing national issues related to water, sustainability, infrastructure, equity, and natural resource management.
Communications Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Develop and manage all aspects of the Alliance’s integrated external communications strategies, in close collaboration with program staff, partners, and external consultants.
- Manage the communications calendar for the US Water Alliance, working with the Alliance team and partners to clearly set expectations and deadlines.
- Develop and implement a process for tracking the impact of our communications strategies.
Writing, Editing, Production
- Write and edit for a variety of formats and for diverse audiences, including: annual report, press releases, op-eds, short form articles, advocacy newsletters, web copy, digital media, collateral materials.
- Edit and oversee production of Alliance materials including research papers, presentations, fact sheets, videos, press materials, and organizational marketing materials.
- Refine and expand the Alliance’s social media strategy with a goal of growing and deepening our social media presence.
- Define analytics for tracking social media impact.
Website and Digital Communications
- Oversee US Water Alliance websites, managing workflow from program staff. Supervise consultant who will assist with content management posting.
- Oversee content for external-facing email newsletters and related communications. Work with staff who will assist with content, formatting, and distribution.
- Manage the development of a new organizational website that serves as a platform for compelling storytelling, member interaction, and serves as cornerstone of the Alliance’s network building strategy.
Media and Press Relations
- Work with communications consultant on media outreach, developing pitches, taking incoming media requests, writing press releases, and other materials for press.
- Work with the CEO and program staff to develop clear and compelling speeches and presentations.
Qualifications and Requirements
- College degree required
- At least 5 years of experience in communications positions, including experience with an integrated communications operation (professional social media management, earned media, digital presence, website content management, email communications, live events, network/stakeholder engagement)
- Exceptional writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- An independent thinker, self-motivated, problem solver, and team player, with a commitment to excellence
- Outstanding organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, and ability to work with staff and consultants across locations
- Experience writing in a variety of formats including websites, briefing papers, press releases, and more
- Experience with website content management platforms and CMS/EMS/CRM platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Comfort with new and emerging technologies
- Availability for periodic travel
Please send your CV/resume, a cover letter, and two original, unedited writing samples. Please email your application to email@example.com with “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. We encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
The US Water Alliance is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.