Working at ICF
It’s not hard to come to work each day when you’re preventing pollution, saving energy, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, or helping the world become more resilient to impacts from climate change. ICF is at the forefront of preparing leading-edge technical and policy analyses, identifying viable market solutions, building real-world management tools, and implementing programs to increase resilience and reduce pollution. In climate change and environmental markets, ICF has provided advice to more than 30 governments and international institutions, and served more than 60 companies in the FT Global 500. We offer our clients around the globe unparalleled analytical, policy, and business management services.
Climate Resilience Researcher Position
ICF is seeking a climate resilience researcher to support our Climate Adaptation and Resilience team. This team works with federal, state, and local agencies, communities, and businesses to help them understand the risks that climate change will bring, and how to reduce those risks.
You will be responsible for supporting ICF managers in executing, planning, and winning projects related to climate change vulnerability assessment and adaptation planning. Projects will range from technical, data-driven analyses to writing reports for general audiences to supporting external workshops and communication activities. You will be an essential member of 2- to 7-person project teams that will depend on you to help create accurate, timely, and high quality products and services. You are likely to work on multiple projects, interact with all levels of staff, and have some client interaction. You will develop expertise in the field of climate change adaptation and resilience, and develop consulting skills.
This is an entry-level position, intended for candidates who have 0-1 years of experience and are available to start working in summer 2020. This position is located in Washington, DC.
What you’ll do…
- Perform quantitative problem-solving, data collection, and analysis.
- Write reports for technical and general audiences.
- Review literature, conduct research, and synthesize findings into concise and well-written summaries.
- Interact with clients.
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials.
- Translate technical climate science and risk management topics into terms that are meaningful to more general audiences.
- Provide logistical and planning support for meetings and workshops.
- Work with small teams to prepare high-quality products, pitching in wherever necessary.
- Complete tasks in a fast-paced and self-motivated environment in a timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in climate change or risk management topics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental or other Earth Sciences, Environmental Management, Business, Economics, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Public Policy or related subjects.
- Cumulative and major GPA of at least 3.2 or higher.
Essential Skills Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use data analysis to support problem solving.
- Excellent time management skills, with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner and establish strong working relationships with all levels of internal staff and outside clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and seek input when needed.
- Ability to be a reliable and proactive team member willing to contribute to projects in a variety of ways.
- Motivation to continuously develop and improve subject-matter knowledge and professional skills and take on increasing responsibility on projects over time.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early for best consideration, though we will be accepting applications until this position is filled.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)