Job no: 497682
Work type: Permanent
Location: VIC – Metro, Australia Wide
Categories: Technical Specialists
Why World Vision…
World Vision is a global community of millions, working together for one purpose: to change the lives of vulnerable children.
Our supporters, partners and staff join forces with communities on the ground to help children achieve good health, access education for life, experience the love of God and their neighbours and are cared for, protected and participating. Together we share proven, world-class development methods to bring food, water, education and economic change.
Our organisational culture reflects a “Partnership” of World Vision offices in nearly 100 countries and almost 37,000 staff working towards one vision: Our vision for every child, life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so. World Vision has profound global impact reaching one person every 10 secs with clean water, and every 60 secs a family gets access to tools and support they need to get out of poverty.
In Australia, World Vision is an iconic brand and market leader in a sector that is renewing itself for the 21st century. Brand metrics are improving, staff engagement growing, donor satisfaction and delight is improving, and public advocacy has been significant and powerful in bringing change. The organisation is also undergoing significant digital renewal exploring and drawing upon a range of digital tools to refresh donor direct experiences of the powerful transformation work of World Vision.
The Opportunity to be a Changemaker…
The Senior Environmental Safeguards and DRR Advisor role exists to integrate environmental safeguards, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) into all field programming and WVA enterprise policies, to deliver impact for the most vulnerable individuals and communities and improve WVA business practices.
On a day to day basis, the Senior Environmental Safeguards and DRR Advisor will be accountable for:
- Providing technical support through the field programming cycle and advise on environmental safeguards, DRR and CCA best practice, compliance with the DFAT Environment and Social Safeguards Policy, local and global standards, assessment and management risk.
- Managing and continuing to revise WVA’s policies on Environment and Climate Change
- Oversee the cross-enterprise Environment Working Group to implement the WV policies and report on progress.
- Building the capacity of the WVA Field Impact staff, and where appropriate, National Offices, to deliver high quality programming that ensure and enhances outcomes for the most vulnerable communities.
- Developing knowledge of environmental safeguards, DRR and CCA principles, practices and sector trends with stakeholders in Australia and identify opportunities for shared learning within WV and among partner organisations.
- Undertaking regular reviews of WVA and Partners performance against the WVA Environment and Climate Change policy in accordance with DFAT accreditation requirements.
- Role modelling behaviours and actions that build a culture of trust – igniting the personal gifts and passions of self and others to become impact led and market informed.
- Actively seeking and creating opportunities for self and others, to effectively connect and collaborate across our enterprise, market and field to realise our full potential.
Who we are looking for…
- Experience in undertaking environmental safeguard and impact risk assessments and supporting DRR/CCA inclusive designs including DRR/CCA analysis and related DRR/CCA mainstreaming strategies and activities;
- Experience in developing data management systems including building in validation and verification systems;
- Experience in policy influence, advocacy or research in related field;
- Detailed knowledge of current approaches to environmental safeguard and impact assessments and DRR/CCA programming in both complex humanitarian disaster and transformational development environments;
- Experience and strong understanding of institutional donors and/or World Vision/INGO DRR frameworks, emerging models, policies and/or programming;
- Tertiary qualification in science/related fields preferably including environmental management, DRR and CCA.
What you need to know…
This role is a permanent position operating in a full-time capacity and will be based at our head office in Burwood East, Victoria.
World Vision Australia takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. All successful candidates will undergo a criminal record and Working with Children check prior to employment. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
Why you should apply…
A career with World Vision Australia is an opportunity to join a sector-leading humanitarian aid organisation and a team of purpose-driven and diverse professionals who are each committed to our mission: the fight against global poverty and its causes.
Aside from the opportunity for broad and life-changing impact in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable, some of our other benefits include:
- Access to professional development programs that include on-the-job learning, e-learning, workshops, forums, leadership development and internal mobility.
- Policies that may accommodate flexible working and other working arrangements to tailor and encourage individual performance.
- An opportunity to shape an already market leading organisation to achieve even greater impact
- A highly engaged team culture that is dynamic, growing in agility and pace, and committed to serve beyond the call of duty.
- A culture that encourages truth telling with grace that confronts challenges and issues to clear teams for success in a timely fashion
- Access to salary packaging tax advantages.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
World Vision Australia is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation that is dedicated to transforming the lives of children and communities by tackling the causes of poverty. We are dedicated to increasing opportunities for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people in line with our Reconciliation Action Plan