Cameroon nationals: Environmental Health (Wash) Manager
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in the world. The IRC assists, provides rehabilitation and provides post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. Present in more than 40 countries, IRC's mission is to help the people whose lives and livelihoods are affected by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and take charge of their future.
In the face of a growing humanitarian crisis, the IRC is launching emergency programs in the Far North and South West regions of Cameroon. The planned programs include environmental health (EH), Protection and Rule of Law (PROL), Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) and the Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE).
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Environmental Health Manager, under the supervision of the Environmental Health Coordinator, will be responsible for the implementation of Environmental Health/WASH/NFI and cholera response activities in North West and South West Region. S/He is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all EH activities in the program Area. S/He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the water, sanitation and hygiene promotion team in these locations and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs. The position will be based in Buéa with frequent travels to the field in North West and South West operation areas.
In coordination with the EH Coordinator,
- Establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in the area of operation;
- Ensure that all IRC EH projects in your target LGAs are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators established by SPHERE, IRC, Cameroon Law and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs;
- Ensure that all cholera response activities are context-specific and delivered in time for at-risk populations;
- Conduct routine assessments as needed to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs within your target LGAs; this will also include evaluation of ongoing technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
- Follow all technical direction as outlaid in the North West and South West EH Strategy for the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in IRC supported medical facilities, included the requirements for the mobile health units, IDP sites and host communities including but not limited to drilling, restoration of existing infrastructure, drainage, solid waste management, latrine, shower and pot wash/laundry construction, hygiene campaigns, vector control and hygiene promotion activities;
- In coordination with the EH Coordinator, assist with technical support and capacity building for WASH/NFI staff under your direct management.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work especially WPE, Protection and ERD;
- Monitor budgets, materials, equipment and supplies for technical work for your program locations and allocated budgets;
- When requested by the EH Coordinator, provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records of progress and contract payment schedules for activities in the LGAs.
- Directly manage and technically supervise the EH officers
Human Resources Management
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with all the EH staff
- Overall responsibility for EH work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities in your targeted LGAs
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures.
- Grant Monitoring & Partner Management:
- Manage and advise contractors implementing programs on behalf of and in partnership with the IRC in all your supported sites.
- Select and implement, in line with the North West and South West EH Strategy, an appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems; analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality. Ensure that all monitoring activities and results are shared with your line manager and if requested by your line manager to the M&E Officer.
- With support from the EH Coordinator, assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
- Actively contribute to proposal writing and strategy development
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Represent IRC during WASH cluster meetings
- Any other duties as assigned by the EH Coordinator to enable and develop IRC programs
- University degree/HND in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Hydraulic and water Management or related field;
- Minimum 3 years professional technical experience in WASH/Environmental Health, Physical Science, structures and/or water delivery/production, Cholera response
- Minimum 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting;
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Proven technical writing skills;
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience;
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
- Fluent in spoken and written English, French or Pidgin English skills are a plus