Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
As Chief of Staff, he/she will help lead the implementation of key initiatives undertaken by the CEO’s Office and team with organization wide impact. He/she oversee the day-to-day operations of the CEO’s office, manage the Board of Directors meetings/Committee & Subcommittee meetings and strategically engage with the Board of Directors.
CEO Office Management
- Manage the office of the CEO and manage the agenda of various meetings.
- Develop and manage CEO correspondence with individuals, board and others.
- Vet meetings so that all participants are prepared (including CEO) and provide clear guidance on the purpose of the meetings. Ensure outcomes are communicated to appropriate parties.
- Represent the CEO’s office as needed with key internal constituencies and occasionally external constituencies.
- Oversee and provide guidance and advice on scheduling and developing meeting prep materials for the Chairman/CEO.
- Ensure that people who meet with the CEO are properly prepared and required documents are available for review ahead of time.
- Play a lead role in developing the Chief Executive Office yearly budget and overseeing management of that budget. Identify budget issues and propose corrective actions.
Executive Team and Board Management
- Act as a key liaison with the Board including but not limited to, the agenda, key calls, decisions, and meetings.
- Work and track the implementation of CEO and key organizational initiatives. Follow up on key deliverables and timelines.
- Serve as a crucial conduit for decisions and information from the CEO office to other key departments – especially those that report directly to the CEO.
- Oversee and guide the Board of Directors/Committee/Subcommittee meetings and provide guidance and advice on Committee/Subcommittee meetings including agendas, topics for CI in Action, meeting locations, logistics, dinner program, and other related areas.
- Work in tandem with other staff members on all Board Meeting activities.
- Manage relationship with Chairman of the Board, keeping the Chair informed of strategic decisions, and seeking input when necessary.
- This position is based in the Arlington, VA office.
- Normal office environment.
- Consistent work outside of normal business hours is expected, given the global nature of this position.
- Occasional domestic and international travel expected.
- At least 10 yrs. of experience providing executive and project related support to high-level executives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven leader with ability to work well with all levels of staff and external stakeholder. Ability to influence others in the absence of direct authority.
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects at once and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to understand, analyze, develop and communicate complex policies.
View all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.