1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health, and families a future.
The Insights & Innovations team at Water.org is data and evidence driven and committed to rigorous monitoring and evaluation processes to capture and communicate information and insights. The Insights & Innovation team measures the performance of our work, identifies potential risks, and validate resulting change that often occurs in complex environments. The team collaborates across the Global Impact department and the broader organization to generate a creditable and actionable evidence base to advance insights, inform and guide our work, drive innovation, accelerate learning curve, influence action, and contribute to thought leadership.
The Lead Evaluation & Research Analyst is responsible for leading Water.org’s research and evaluations. This include designing, generating, and managing multiple evaluation and research projects within the water and sanitation sector to assess current and potential program and business model effectiveness, as well as contribute to Water.org’s evidence and knowledge base to support program implementation and scale. The evaluation and research projects are varied by region and serve multiple teams throughout Water.org, producing key information needed to support to organizational strategy, program design, and influence programmatic business decisions. The Lead Evaluation & Research Analyst will also actively seek out innovative approaches to evaluation and research, incorporating new methods and optimizing current practices.
This Lead Evaluation & Research Analyst role may be based in Kansas City, MO or in any of the following Water.org global offices: Chennai, India; Delhi, India; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Manila, Philippines; or Jakarta, Indonesia.
Lead Overall Research and Evaluations (60%)
- Lead the development and drive implementation of Water.org’s research strategy.
- Design, generate, and manage research projects; including longitudinal studies, operational and business model evaluations, outcomes/effectiveness analysis, and case studies.
- Lead in the design of research methods and data collection tools; contributing to assessments, evaluations and case studies through experimental, quasi-experimental, qualitative, and mixed-method approaches. Contribute to the development of Water.org’s insights and evidence base for achieving impact through its interventions through proactive and ongoing research.
- Respond to research queries from internal stakeholders and provide relevant, innovative evidence base to address internal needs as requested.
- Support monitoring sampling methods and survey needs.
- Publish research findings ensuring all original research is appropriately supported.
- Provide project oversight and management for external research and evaluation consultants.
Data Analysis and Dissemination (15%)
- Lead and conduct research and analysis using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Clean and organize data sets and files
- Develop charts, figures, and analytical text for briefs, reports of research findings and presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Disseminate research findings to various internal stakeholders.
- Contribute to reports, research papers and learnings.
- Manage all associated projects, research tasks, and budget plans/activities.
- Coordinate and oversee internal individual contributors’ involvement and deliverables relating to research, evaluations, sampling methods, and surveys.
- Provide technical guidance, trainings, and mentoring support to staff and 3rd parties
- Identify, engage, and manage 3rd parties that would support the evaluation.
- Assist Insights & Innovations team members in devising methods and procedures for collecting, cleaning, organizing and processing data.
- Optimize research and evaluation processes
- Develop and manage partnership program with academic and research institutions
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Accountable for goal performance within the Insights and Innovations team
- Identify and drives innovative approaches to incorporate into Water.org’s evaluation and research practices.
- Execute evaluation and research strategies to support the needs of the Global Impact department and Water.org.
- Utilize practice-based evaluation and research methods to continuously improve the impact assessments and outcomes.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, international development studies, economics or an appropriate related field. Master’s degree in related fields preferred.
- At least 10 years of designing and implementing research and/or conducting evaluations outside of graduate degree program.
- Strong working knowledge of evaluation and research methods and approaches.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information and draw conclusions and produce reports.
- Strong writing and analytical skills, including expert level fluency in a statistical software package such as Excel, STATA, SPSS or R.
- Experience evaluating interventions within the global development sector.
- Documented results and experienced within evaluation and research design.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a statistical software program and data analysis methods.
- High level proficiency in data visualization, effective data interpretation, and disseminated to various stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate / coordinate; effectively working across departments and cross-culturally and distill complex information clearly.
- Must be willing to travel up to 10% of time domestically and internationally.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.