Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and planning to run an office in Yobe, besides 50 staff members subject to an increase in the near future.
The Watsan Assistant primary function is to assist the Watsan Officer to ensure all-round operation of the mechanised and non-mechanised water points operated by DRC in the camp.
· Provide preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs to water facility, troubleshooting and repairs to water treatment equipment.
· Collect operating data and record, as well as document all installations, inspections, maintenance and repair work.
· She/he will assist in Effectively identify problems as they occur and take appropriate steps to solve them, including performing repair or referring more
complex issues to supervisor. Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
· Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
· Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH.
· Ensure the integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
· Coordinate with WASH and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
· Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH and Shelter sector at all levels.
· Actively participate in internal coordination
- At least 3 years’ experience in the operation and maintenance of water supply systems.
- Sound knowledge of installation and repair of solar systems.
- Sound knowledge of diesel generator sets and electrical systems repair.
- Certificate in electrical or mechanical works
- Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Applicant should be a resident of Bama Town.
Salary and conditions: In accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for tax returns.
How to apply
The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications should be sent to the link on the DRC website https://drc.ngo/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
Deadline date. 26/01/2020 Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants who are invited for a written test and oral interview will be contacted.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development