POSITION TITLE: MONITORING, EVALUATION & RESEARCH MANAGER
ORGANIZATION: WATER FOR PEOPLE INDIA
LOCATION: NEW DELHI
REPORTING TO: DIRECTOR PROGRAMS
EXPERIENCE: 7-10 YEARS
NATURE OF CONTRACT: 3 YEARS FIXED TERM CONTRACT (RENEWABLE)
About the Organization:
Water for People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency. Water for People India programs have been implemented in 27 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Odisha and Assam. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water for People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water for People India implements programs through locally registered non-government organizations.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Manager is a key national level position, with dedicated time to Water For People and One Drop Foundation initiative in Sheohar, Bihar. The position is responsible for knowledge management portfolio. The ideal candidate will have a WASH experience, ability to deal with quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages, and a commitment to design and implementation of program and organisational level monitoring, evaluation and research initiatives. The position will lead/support developing an annual calendar of monitoring, evaluation and research activities and its operationalisation, management of local teams, partners and external agencies involved.
The position will be responsible for sharing data and its analysis within the organization and in external fora. Reporting to the Country Director, and in collaboration with Director Programs, the position will contribute to all routine reporting. The position will lead the global and in-country monitoring requirements.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent will be responsible for the following functions for Water for People in India and will have a matrix reporting to the Director Programs.
Programme Development and Management :
• Engage in development and tracking of program specific results framework and contribute to the overall institutional results management framework.
• Lead program team in development and implementation of a qualitative and quantitative M&E system, research and evaluation activities, assist with routine program monitoring activities – project-specific
• Support for programme development/ management and integrating programme learnings into new programmes
• Support the development of programmes policies, long term strategic plans and annual operational plans, especially for Bihar state. Engage in the roll out of these policies and plans.
• Ensure the quality and relevance of the project’s monitoring and evaluation design, data collection sources and analytics.
• Support in development of concept notes and proposals by providing monitoring related inputs, data and other information.
• Support the process of developing guidelines for annual operational plans and budgets (narrative and financial). Support the teams and processes that guide teams towards development of annual plans.
• Develop and lead feasibility studies and baselines for programmatic and/or geographical expansion. In close coordination with the teams, share findings and recommendations for new programs development.
• Lead/support the process of undertaking routine partner reviews and assessments (programmatic and financial), Develop an annual calendar of assessments, and along with teams guide/engage as a core group member in these assessments.
Reporting and Documentation :
• Liaise with Country Team, donors and WFP Denver, as required for proposals, reports, monitoring related activities and tasks.
• Lead/support the process of routine programme reporting (narrative and financial) to donors. Engage with the programme/project teams, partner organizations, WFP country office to ensure development of high quality and accurate reports.
• Roll out reporting guidelines and trainings for teams and partner organisations for high quality and analytical reports.
• Manage all process documentation activities – written, visual pertaining to programme approaches and processes, implementation, innovations etc.
Monitoring & Learning :
• Develop and manage an annual calendar of monitoring and learning activities including stakeholder engagement in the process.
• Support for development / review of M&E framework/ Tools for WFP India, in alignment with global guidelines/ framework.
• Manage and implement annual/routine monitoring activities.
• Responsible for data collection, data quality, data consolidation and analysis – on periodic and time series basis.
• Establish and/or implement processes to share the data and analysis with relevant stakeholders and document areas for strengthening programmes.
• Based on monitoring data, identify areas for programme quality, improvement, new programming areas and approaches and support the teams to integrate these in annual plans.
• Engage in development of programme log frames and provide inputs from the data collected using monitoring tools, to benchmark outcomes.
• Develop an MIS system that consolidates and analyzes across project-specific indicators and organization-wide indicators that is appropriate to the local context.
• Manage the annual calendar of events for fostering learning (programmatic) events for donors, WFP teams, partner organisations, external visits of programme teams and partners for learning.
• Provide inputs as required for developing organisational protocols for logistics, content, visit plans and compliance protocols etc. for various kinds of learning events and its adherence, in coordination with Finance and HR team.
• Lead/manage the process of regional and national RIRs, its documentation and consolidation of outcomes in annual operational plans.
• Appropriately document and disseminate learning events (written, visual) with relevant stakeholders, especially highlighting feedback received, recommendations for further improvement.
• Undertake capacity building of the programme team as well as the partners on M&E tools and formats, data collection, analysis and interpretation and use of M&E results for better planning and programme implementation, as required
Representations at various forums:
• Participate/support representation in conferences, events, meetings to best represent WFP’s work in India
• Develop/support preparation of papers, presentations, reports etc. and its representation in events, meetings, conferences.
Any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
Education/Qualifications & Experience :
• Bachelors or Master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, social sciences, or related field.
• Experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs
• Minimum of five years professional experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Research role with an experience from project initiation to closeout stages and of equity and inclusion aspects.
• Experience designing and managing monitoring and database systems, surveys and research studies.
• Knowledge of the evaluation and research methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
• Experience managing and providing ongoing training to M&E field officers within the organization and local partners.
• Good reporting and technical writing skills and preparation of infographics/visuals and other representation techniques
Skills and Competencies:
• Connects to the Mission – embraces the vision, mission and demonstrates values of Water For People.
• Demonstrates skills sets to be a part of the Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the growth and development of the organisation
• Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – shows empathy, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
• Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and be comfortable representing Water For People across a wide variety of audiences
• Team player, adherence to timelines, work efficiencies and ensuring quality in all initiatives, is innovative and suggests creative ideas while being open to suggestions
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (at senior levels)
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Spreadsheets, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; Statistical analysis packages. Knowledge of GIS is desirable.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
• Ability to travel internationally, and locally to project locations, where travel is rugged, up to 60% of time
• Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors.
Application Process & Last Date
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, compulsorily giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to [email protected] by or before 21st January 2020. Please mention “Application for the post of Monitoring Evaluation & Research Manager” in the subject line
Water For People India is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages diversity among staff. Well qualified women candidates, are encouraged to apply.
Considering the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.