Do you want to play a key role in an organisation which stands up for children? Join us as Humanitarian WASH Advisor you will support Humanitarian and Emergency responses of Save the Children, both remotely and in deployment.
In our Marketing, Fundraising and Communications department, we fight for children every single day. We inspire millions of people, from individuals to large corporates, to support our quest for change. We go the extra mile – and we don’t rest until the work is done.
As Humanitarian WASH Advisor you will lead the country-facing support aspects of Save the Children UK’s (SCUK) humanitarian Work Plan, providing technical leadership to analyse and support WASH work. You will support development of country Humanitarian WASH, Health and Nutrition sector strategies to ensure sustainable growth. You will deploy to the field at short notice to set up new emergency WASH programmes, including leading technical assessments, developing programme plans, strategies and master budgets. In addition you will:
- Advise any remaining SCI Country Office management teams on successful implementation of transition, with specific attention to technical programming aspects
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) teams to ensure harmonisation of WASH programme MEAL and data management processes across programmes
- Ensure mainstreaming of crosscutting issues (e.g. HIV, child protection and gender) across the country strategies and projects
- Assist policy and learning initiatives for Humanitarian WASH practices related to Save the Children’s programming
- Assess in-country WASH programme technical support and implementation capacities and identify gaps.
To be successful you will have significant experience delivering high quality emergency WASH humanitarian response programmes, with specific expertise in medical infrastructure. You will ideally be educated to Master’s level or higher in WASH engineering, civil or structural engineering, or Public Health as well as significant experience of designing and implementing WASH programmes internationally. With experience of working and participating in a multi-disciplinary team, you will have a proven track record of developing programme strategies, protocols and guidelines. Additionally you will have:
- Considerable experience in needs assessment, programme evaluation, and programme development and writing of funding proposals and reports
- Substantial proven experience of supporting programmes through distance management
- Considerable proven experience of confidently and professionally representing organisations to the WASH sector and donors at senior level
- The ability and willingness to travel to remote and insecure locations often at short
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 16th February 2020
We particularly welcome applications from people with disabilities, Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds, LGBT+ and from different socio-economic and educational backgrounds, as these are underrepresented at Save the Children UK.
Jobs are positioned within the salary structure on the basis of evaluation. New employees would normally be appointed at the bottom of the grade, however the appointed salary may also take into account the relevant experience a candidate brings to a role. Save the Children is committed to paying staff in a fair and equitable way and will benchmark all salary offers in line with the pay of existing staff.
Save the Children UK is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment. To see our full statement please visit this link: https://jobs.savethechildren.org.uk/our-policies/diversity/
Save the Children UK has a comprehensive benefits package. To see our full offer please visit this link: https://jobs.savethechildren.org.uk/what-we-offer
Interview expenses: Candidates should note that unfortunately it is not our policy to reimburse expenses accrued when attending interviews at Save the Children UK unless you are requested to attend an interview in an alternative location to where the role is based.
Pre-employment Checks: Any Employment with Save the Children UK will be subject to the following checks prior to your start date:
- a satisfactory police record check to include a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and/or an International Criminal Record Check (If applicable)
- receipt of satisfactory references
- proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this role